Mansfield Travel Blog

Al at the top of Mt Timbertop

The trip must have been pretty nostalgic for Ali. Ali used to go to school at Geelong Grammar. Geelong is a fair way from here, but the entire year 9 at their school is spent at Mt Timbertop. Apparently they go hiking on Wednesdays and Thursdays and go to 'school' on the other days of the week. We didn't go into the school, they're meant to be isolated.

But anyway, that meant the hike up to the Timbertop summit must have been quite a familiar one for Al. They have to run it at the end of Timbertop I hear! You know I'm not sure how much bike riding does to your fitness 'cause I ride to uni every day, at least once and so does Al. The track up Timbertop started on the slightest incline, but right at the bottom we were already tired! Pathetic! Anyway, it was well worth the trek, as you approach the summit, suddenly all the trees drop behind you and you're sitting on an open grassy point.

Mt Timbertop
It was nice to stop here and eat the apple I had carried the whole way. (I took a bite out of it at the start and didn't want to throw it away or put it in my pocket.) A little bit farther up and there were some rocks and that, then more trees and you reach the ridge that makes the mountain so distinct when you see it from afar.

Al got a phone call at the top, which more than anything else, made me wonder if we'd come far enough away from the city. Al always says I'm weird because I can never get far enough away. Well if there's phone reception you can't be that far away can you! Al's house doesn't even get mobile reception! You have to stand on a log. I love it! Anyway, I digress...

Coming downhill was uneventful but pleasant nonetheless (less puffing).

Mt Timbertop, near the summit
Funnily enough we saw a guy coming up as we were heading down, and he was doing it barefoot. Barefoot. Don't know about that one too much! He did have two girls with him that we thought maybe he was trying to impress, haha. He would have had to dodge a lot of poo on the way up.

So I saw Timbertop, I saw the school (from the top), now we were off to we don't know where. We headed in the correct general direction - back towards Wangaratta/Rutherglen - and decided to stop in Mansfield for lunch. We had lunch at what Al called a 'crap place'. It had hot fries and stuff like that but it was way over priced, I guess, as you'd expect, and they charged you extra if you wanted sauce. (Who doesn't want sauce with hot fries and a pie?)

We stopped at the bakery to get a vanilla slice (the reason we came into Mansfield in the first place), then headed for Tolmie.

Stringy Bark

I blinked, so I missed Tolmie, but the drive was stunning. It was the first day of spring, so there were wattles everywhere (the yellow flowers, if you don't know them). As you pass Tolmie the roadside starts to drop beside you to uncover the most beautiful valleys. Apparently there are really nice waterfalls in this area but none unfortunately on our way home.

We did stop at Powers Lookout. You have to stop there if you do this drive. This is, if I'm correct, Kelly country. You know Ned Kelly, right? You must, they made a movie! It had whats-his-name in it. Heath Ledger. Anyway! Power apparently was the guy who 'trained' Kelly. And this was where he used to hide from the police. He had a good view I'll tell you what. It's a really rocky outcrop that looks over a green valley.

From it, you can see all the mountains whose names I have forgotten. But ones that would be familiar if you lived here.

If you do get a chance to get out here, you should definately go down the little trail to where the real lookout is. There's one at the carpark where all the sign boards and stuff are. But definately head down the trail, it's awesome and the view is spectular. I took photos, but really, you just can't get it in a photo. And the plant life here is just so pretty. You're the heart of Victoria, it can't get much better.

The rest of the drive was no less spectacular. King Valley, man, if I had money that would be the first place I'd buy land. The roadsides are just so green, the paddocks are green, the road is lined with snowgums that are just gorgeous, and the wattles are a splash of yellow that just finishes it off. All this and a brilliant mountain backdrop. Who wouldn't like it? :)

Mt Timbertop
Part of Powers Lookout, nearer to …
Part of Powers Lookout, nearer to…
View from Powers Lookout