Brimin Lodge

Rutherglen Travel Blog

There comes a time when you've just had too much of the city. So this was Al's and my weekend away!

We went the round about way. Alistair (ponynoble) has a farm up in Rutherglen which is why we got to there a really silly way. It was the usual three and a half hour drive to Rutherglen from Horse's place (Als brother). We got to Al and Horse's farm, Brimin Lodge, at about 10pm, maybe. Just in time for dinner - na, actually we were quite late - we were a little bit hungry.

Said hello to the dogs (who smelt a bit like cows), sat around and chatted, then went to bed. Nice and warm under those doonas! Actually I lie, it wasn't that cold. But it was the last time I stayed there, in the middle of winter. August... is not too bad.

The house boat and the cabin, which their family rent out are extremely well kitted out. Self-contained, and beautifully secluded. Actually, why don't I take this lovely oppurtunity to shamelessly advertise my boyfriends accommodation up in Rutherglen. If you're ever in North-Eastern Victoria and you're looking for somewhere in the bush, with lots of birds, a billabong and the wonderful Murray River, you have to stay at Brimin Lodge. Your choice of a cabin by the river (yes, it is the Murray) or a houseboat moored in a billabong. Both are awesome, take my word for it. There's not a better retreat to get the city out of ya.

Plus there's a few emus and that kind of thing walking around if you're into that. I remember taking some of my first drives in their paddocks. I managed to puncture a tire but that's beside the point. Reversing is extra fun 'cause you might bump into a sheep or an emu.

Rutherglen