~To the Rainforest we go~

El Yunque Travel Blog

A snail that was on my path.

The 4th day we were FREE! Well, just hurricane free that is, and we were finally able to go and actually explore the island. We decided to go to El Yunque which is the rain forest. The sky was lovely with those big puffy clouds! I just love how that looks! On the way there we saw vendors on the side streets, and a lot of people at the beaches. When we finally reached the main road to go up, we were very careful! The road was narrow but big enough for two cars. One side with cars going up and the other side with cars coming down. But my goodness, it is so beautiful! I really enjoyed driving that road. But it was dangerous because it was curvy and swirly! But it was great! Everywhere was green and you can hear the birds chirping and the waterfalls and streams...it's just so peaceful and lovely.

The trail at El Yunque
  We stopped to take pictures several times. There was this huge tall rock with water falling from the top. I don't know if it was a waterfall or what, but it was great to see. I also don’t know if it has a name. We finally got to the top of the hill, which is where the path is located that will take you to the waterfall.  We had to stop a couple of times and ask the park ranger where it was located. There are two paths that lead you to the waterfall. One is hard and the other is a path. We chose the path because we had kids with us.

That path had so many beautiful things to see.

The stream besides the trail
So many plants, birds, bugs and even spiders! Oh, and I saw mice running around, too. Well, I think they were mice. We saw a huge tree that had fallen over! I wonder if anyone heard it fall...hmmm. We actually separated because some were faster then others. Yvette, Lalo, Nathan, Yessy, Daisy and the Ariel, but of course she was in my sisters arms. Then it was my mom, Gabby, Alexus, Bianka and I. We were slow because of Bianka. She was freaking out! She didn’t want to get dirty. So we would each take turns carrying her. We would also stop and take pictures at certain areas.  A little while later Alexus and my mom left and it then it was Gabby, Bianka and I.  At one point of the path we has this huge tree that had fallen and all we saw was the trunk of it. I wonder how it fell.  Also, we had to pass a section where a mud slide occurred and so it covered our path with tree roots and vines along with mud.
one of several falls
It was pretty scary, but it was passable because several people were coming and going over it. We finally got down to the end where the fall is. My nieces and nephew were already in the water and they had a blast! My sister was in the process of getting into the water.  I enjoyed the view for a bit and then I decided to go in.  I had to be really careful because there are a lot of huge rocks that you have to walk on or climb over and then gradually went in. Gabby did the same. Lalo and Daisy did not get in. Bianka was crying of course, but then after a while she actually enjoyed it. Yvette right away went behind the falls and was there with other people. She was telling me to go with her, too. But I was too scared to at first. Then I decided to do it because I would have regretted it if I didn’t. And I actually got behind the waterfall but I really couldn't see anything because water was in my face!  And the falling water hurt because it was coming down with a lot of force! We really enjoyed ourselves.
I do declare! This sun!
We then had to get out of the water, dry up a bit and walk up again. But it was fine because we were all refreshed from the fall.  On the drive back down the curvy hill we did see that there was a car accident.  Everyone was careful after passing that scene. We grabbed KFC and headed back to the hotel to eat it. We were tired and Ariel was asleep by the time we reached the hotel.  But all in all a very excellent time!

El Yunque