Old San Juan

San Juan Travel Blog

Getting to know San Juan

On our fifth day we went to Old San Juan to experience the history of beautiful Puerto Rico. We also went to El Morro which is an old fort in Puerto Rico.

my two nieces next to this old door and window.
Again we separated because a few of us wanted to eat and the others wanted to go directly to the fort. Gabby, Bianka, Alexus and I went to look for a place to eat. We were walking down the old city of San Juan. I didn’t really notice how things looked because I was starving. And walking down a street we located a pizza place! It was very cute and retro looking. They also had very delicious pizza! Of course, I don’t remember the name of the place. But Yvette and my mom were calling and telling us to hurry because it was simply amazing!  So there we are eating as quick as we could and trying to make a two year old eat fast. That wasn’t happening.  But once we finished and walked to El Morro, we were amazed as well. Very interesting place with beautiful views of the coast! Some of the doorways or entry ways were huge! And others were really small! The hallways were very low! I had to lower my head a few times.  I wondered how tall the people were during those days! We walked all over the fort, which also has a lighthouse!! There were a pile of cannon balls next to a very antique looking cannon. My nieces and nephew climbed them and I had to take a picture of them on it.
Where is the giant?
They also sat on top of the cannon. I saw a stairway that led I don’t know where, but the entrance was really small and the stairs looked very fragile. Good thing they had that section gated off.  If you are ever in
San Juan, go and visit El Morro. The views are amazing!

Afterwards we went to Old San Juan, which is really crowded with tourist (like ourselves), to go and do some SHOPPING! But mainly to have a look around. The buildings are so old fashion; it's really nice how they have stayed the same as if nothing has changed.

At the fort in San Juan
  Actually, I was reminded of the buildings in New Orleans because they are so similar. The shops have such cute things! And of course I had to get souvenirs for my work buddies and my bff Angel and her daughter Divinity.  That day was great as well and the only downside of it is that I got lost driving back to the hotel. I took a wrong freeway, but I found my way. Just took another route, a longer route! But I was nervous for a minute or two. Ok, for an hour! But then I recognized where we were and was fine after that.  But it was a really scary feeling! Gabby and I owe it to a very nice man that helped us when we stopped at a gas station. He even wanted us to follow him so that he could lead us to where we were supposed to go but we didn’t let him. He provided us with great directions. We owe him our lives! Not really our lives, but we were very grateful to him and he had given us his phone number so we left him a very nice voicemail. My mom said she was about to get into the other rental car and go looking for us. Good thing she didn’t or else I would have been worried about her! But all in all a great day!

Getting to know San Juan
my two nieces next to this old doo…
my two nieces next to this old do…
San Juan