Good times in Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico Travel Blog

at LAX

My family and I took a trip to Puerto Rico. That was the longest flight I have ever been on. And being that there were 11 people in our party, you can imagine the craziness that was happening at the airport! I still try to forget it. But I have to say, it was all worth it! I would do it again in a minute! Well, maybe with a smaller group. Ok, all of it! But let me tell you why it was crazy! There were five adults and 6 children. Of the children, 1 was an infant (Ariel) and 1 was a toddler (Bianka). The others were from ages 5-10 (Alexus, Nathan, Yesenia & Daisy).  That in itself is already crazy! Of the five adults, two of them work at the airport so what they did is drop us off and then go and park and wait for us at the gate! What is the fairness of that? None! No fairness at all! So while we get checked in and go through security, my head is spinning! It was just too much! After we passed one thing I had to make sure to count all the children! I mean, it was super HECTIC! And then we get to the gate and my sister Yvette asks, “What took you guys so long?”  I would have gladly choked her! The nerve of the girl!

We took an overnight flight straight to the island.

I'm so excited!
I sat with my niece Bianka during takeoff. I was really worried that she would start crying because that was going to be her first flight. Her mom Gabby was in first class enjoying all of that space. Take off was fine. She was crying for her mom and the girl sitting next to us was really nice. She gave my niece some chips and Bianka loved them and they kept for quiet in the meantime. She asked the girl for more and she did give them to her.  At one point during the flight I did get a bit worried when I smelled the scent of something burning. It was really faint, but it was there! And I got even more so when the flight attendant came by and started crawling around feeling the floor. WHAT THE HECK?  While she was going that I was giving her looks that said, “Why are you doing that?” She would smile and nod. What does that tell me? Not a darn thing! Nothing at all! When Gabby came by maybe 15 minutes after that happened and asked to switch seats so she could sit with Bianka, man was I glad to! But switching didn’t mean I wasn’t scared by that faint smell of smoke/burning, whatever it was! Well, I went to first class and my niece was sitting in front of me.
Puerto Rio airport
She is chatting with this guy sitting next to her on the other aisle. She says hello and I get settled in. I have this thing of never taking off my seat belt on an airplane, so I am putting it on fast. Weird, I know. But it makes me feel safe somehow. Like if that’s going to stop something from happening to me! So I get comfy and the guy next talking to her says to me, “Hello. Do you know who I am?”  I felt that the look on my face told him that I just sat here and never met him before, so no I don’t know who you are (well, at least I hope that’s what it showed). But my niece looks at me and says, “He’s Jenny Craigs’ son.”  She must have heard him say that a few times because her face showed irritation.  I swear to you, this guy was drunk from the floor up!  He was loud and obnoxious! This was an overnight flight and people wanted to sleep, including me! But he wasn’t letting us.  I would doze here and there but wake up every so often.
Hi!
Especially to make sure that my niece was alright from that guy. I don’t remember his name, but what I do remember is at one point during the flight he threw himself between his row and the row in front of him. I know my eyes opened wide and I really wanted to laugh, but I knew it wouldn’t be appropriate because that couple was really mad! He also had a lap top and he was banging it because he couldn’t work it!  But when that happened I had to stay awake, or try to stay awake. It was hard! My niece had no problem. She was excited to be going to Puerto Rico.  But other then the smell of smoke and the crazy guy, the flight was uneventful.

We arrived in San Juan, Puerto Rico at 9 am to rain.

Got in the way
I was thinking, "OH GREAT! What next?" Well, apparently we hadn't been listening to the news before we left because the island was on hurricane watch! Hurricane Dean was on its way! But it was not supposed to hit Puerto Rico straight on, it was to pass by and skim the island. I didn't think it was true because after the rainfall the sky was bright and shining.  But how can I know this, right? I have never been anywhere near a location to experience a hurricane. I live on the West Coast of the U.S. We do not have hurricanes. We only have earthquakes.  I don’t know which is better. We got our rental cars and we were on our way to Humacao, Puerto Rico which is on the other side of the island.
Me and Yessy
I enjoyed driving to our hotel. The scenery was beautiful! So lush and green! It took us about an hour or two to reach the hotel.

We stayed at the Four Points. The hotel was so beautiful. It had a pond with fishes and turtles.  The lobby is open and you can feel the breeze! Check in took less then 10 minutes. The staff is very nice and courteous. When we walked in to our rooms I was very happy! The rooms are really nice and the décor very soothing. I loved it! I loved everything about it! The pool was really nice, but not deep at all! I think the deepest was 4 ft.

driving to our hotel
This is fine for all the children that went with us, but not for me since I am 5’9 but I did enjoy being there with the kids and playing games with them. They bring a different kind of excitement to the pool. That first day we went to the hotels restaurant and had dinner. Nathan, my nephew, he likes to clown around and during dinner he put onion top of his lips and pretended that was his mustache. After dinner we explored the surrounding area, located a store to get snacks and we even had one that sold cookies! How sweet is that?! We were all enjoying the warm weather right along with everything we had at the hotel. After dinner what the kids really wanted to do was go to the pool. It was a unanimous vote from them and we were in the pool the rest of the day.  It was very hot. They have a bar at the pool and that was great! Gabby and I started talking to a couple that was from Jersey. They were really nice.
our room and that's Bianka
They were there for a reggaeton concert that happens each year and have family that they visit as well.  We left the pool a bit before sunset, but we had a very excellent first day!

Chelly415 says:
Your airport experience was fun to read about... As if the airport weren't hectic enough as it is...you had a big party to go through it with... gotta love kids though... I am jealous that you went to Puerto Rico
Posted on: Jan 27, 2009
eglp says:
The Four Points is very nice, glad you had a good time :)
Posted on: Aug 15, 2008