Day 2: Fort Day!!

San Juan Travel Blog

Cool fort!

We awoke to a beautiful and hot sunny day in San Juan.  Back home they are getting some snow.  Too bad!   We have 83 degrees

and sunshine!  I was awake early, so I threw on my workout clothes, went to grab our missing bag, which arrived around 11pm and

headed to the hotel gym.  While there I talked with some people who were leaving on Serenade of the Seas later that day.  It made

the workout go faster!  When I finished I went back and hauled everyone up out bed to go get breakfast.  Then it was time to chill out

by the pool.  After a couple of hours we got dressed and headed down Ashford Avenue on foot.  We stopped in at Starbucks then Walgreens

to pick up a pair of sunglasses for Andy.

Amazing view of the sea.
  After more walking we decided to eat lunch at Subway since we knew we would be pigging out

the rest of the week.  The ladies in the Subway spoke very little English, but thanks to having a son that takes Spanish, we soon got

our order and dug in.  We continued our stroll toward Old San Juan.  It was very hard to by pass the Dior, Vuitton and Gucci stores,

but I did it.   When we got near the lagoon we grabbed a cab into Old San Juan.  We walked around, went back to some places we

saw last year (the Coach Store) and slowly made our way to the fort.  I was bound and determined to go the fort, since I had planned

to last year on our stop here, but was denied by our super shopper daughter.  It's a very long walk, but very pretty, and soon we

were walking up the hill and inside.

Inside the fort.
  Amazing views.  It looked rainy, but it held off.   We looked around and took lots of pictures.

The kids admitted that it was pretty cool and they really liked it. HA!  Score one for mom!  Eventually we headed back to town

and went to Senor Frogs to check out the basketball games.  I was glad to see that the place was not overrun and was very

quiet, despite a Princess ship being docked outside.  We enjoyed some cold beer and some snacks, then headed back to the hotel.

The Casino was finally open.  Rob sat down and won $25 off the bat at a slot machine.  I was denied.   We were all tired, so another

relatively early night for us.  Tomorrow we will be on a cruise ship!

Inside the fort.
A street in Old San Juan.
A street in Old San Juan.
San Juan