Day 9

Johannesburg Travel Blog

 › entry 18 of 115 › view all entries

We got up to go to Schitsdrift this morning but Ashley didn’t collect us. Apparently he was in the mountains trying to find some horses that were stolen by the Lesotho’s. Elena took us in the end but there were no children there. Apparently at that school they are often let go very early as the teacher cannot cope and go early on a Friday as it is so… we had no chance of teaching them today.


Instead, Elena took us into Winterton to a nice coffee shop to have milkshakes. Probably the nicest vanilla milkshake I’ve ever had. Whitey and I both shared most of Michaela’s with 2 straws…. it was romantic.


Back at the farm we sunbathed for a while on the veranda. It was about 36 today…very nice. Whitey went on ‘’a little walk’ but we couldn’t find him for about an hour. He’d just wandered off down some fields without telling anyone singing his little heart out. When he got back, after embarrassingly getting stuck in barbed wire and ripping his shorts to ensure I couldn’t get a picture, Noel and Elena took us to Ladysmith.


I went there briefly last year to visit the war museum so we went back again…it was only 15p to get in…must rake in the money. We took the traditional pictures of Whitey copying the manikins and then got hold of the visitor’s book from last year. It was strange to see all the comments that our D of E group had left the year before.


After messing about on the cannons outside we went over the sports shop I bought my cricket set from in South Africa the first time. It hasn’t changed. Whitey and I bought another present while Michaela found us some top quality junior fishing rods. Was quite embarrassing. Then Whitey finally bought a hat from an outdoors’ shop…now he looks like a fisherman.


At the farm we had Noel’s speciality curry before the three of us played some rugby outside.

We watched old school stars in their eyes with Elena who will never miss it and at about half 9 Bernadette, Lynette’s daughter who’s about 20, picked us up and took us to The Bridge, a hotel/bar in Winterton which has a club thing in it as well. Was good but the drinks were ridiculously cheap again so I got quite drunk. Michaela wasn’t feeling too well, but Mr Daniel’s made sure I was happy. Mark was there again and just as interested in Michaela as last time…the feeling wasn’t mutual. About 2am we got home and I sang the guys a lullaby to make sure they got to sleep…it wasn’t appreciated quite as much as I’d hoped.

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!