Day 77, Back Back and Forth and Forth

Rarotonga Travel Blog

This morning we had a bit of a lie in as we were all feeling very rough but had to be up in quite good time as check out was at 11am. We could leave our bags and use the facilities but had to vacate the room. I turned the room upside down before we left as I lost my ring that Amanda gave me. I have no idea where it could be but I'm gutted.

We then decided to return to Varra's beach for the day at try to swim to those little islands. Mikay stayed behind to do some washing so I took Whitey on the first leg and dropped him at the beach. We drove the way round that we never have before and then I kept going so that I drove around the whole island. I then picked Michaela up but unfortunately had to arrange with James that we would go to the police station to get our Cook Islands driving license but then come all the way back to get him!

At the police station I realized that I had forgotten my bloody driving license!! So I had to drive all the way back to get it. By this time I had driven back and forth six times! So after we got our licenses, and I look so different from my proper one, Mikay dropped me off at the beach and then went to get James. Whitey and I just messed about really and went on the internet at the hostel, but when Mikay returned she told us that she had run out of petrol on the way, about 50 yards from the backpackers! She saw it was empty but thought she would be ok??

The beach was fun and we swam out to the little island just off shore. It was great to swim through the crystal clear waters, occasionally stopping to marvel at coral or chase colourful tropical fish!

When we had accomplished our goal we headed back to shore and then I took Whitey back to the hostel. Then after a practice he drove back to pick Michaela up.

We took some final posed pictures and then settled down to a BBQ of swordfish and steak, with some fairly strong punch as well. It was delicious and everyone sat down and chatted with each other. I am sad that we are going as we met some great people, a few of which will be on our flight to L.A, and saying goodbye was hard!

We waited for the bus on the road for ages and then headed to the airport.

I really enjoyed Rarotonga, and it is like nowhere else I have ever been. The scenery is brilliant from the palm trees and white sands to the Jurassic Park like mountains in the center?.I would definitely come back!
photo by: glennisnz