Day 67, Soccer Sunday

Auckland Travel Blog

This morning was another mid morning wake-up and i immediately got up to check what the Liverpool Vs Arsenal FA Cup score was....we lost 3-1. Great.

After messing about doing not much all morning, it was time for the inter hostel 5 a side. Disappointingly the organiser couldn't do it this week but the woman behind the desk gave us a ball and directed us to the nearest park. The other hostels must have had the same idea and so about 20 of us had one big game of footy in the sunshine and heat of Victoria Park. It was great to play properly after so long and needless to say i chipped in with a couple. Even though i started at right back i still managed to get a goal, and then late on when i settled into my more familiar striker role, i managed to net another....a simply sublime glancing header after some neat buil-up play. The goals helped our predominantly British side on our way to a comfortable win over the Spanish/South American dominated team, who, like their national team, had talented inidividuals but could not play very well as a unit. It was VERY hot and certainly helped to top up my tan.

Due to my illness, which today is a lot better apart from a constant hacking cough, i had to stop at half time, which actually turned out to be an hour and a half of play!

After speaking to a Gunner who was also playing, who had watched the game this morning and who agreed that it was foolish to play Dudek for no reason we headed back to the hostel for some well needed showers.

Whilst we cleansed ourseleves, Michaela busied herself by buying and preparing the ingredients for what turned out to be egg boiled rice and noodles. it was nice and definitely needed as Whitey and myself were absolutely starving. I had a milky bar, 2 pancakes, some chicken and half a tub of Top Deck ice cream.

After dinner we were again at a lose end as Dan had informed us he would not be able to make it to Auckland before tomorrow morning, just in time for the ridiculous jump of Auckland Harbour Bridge. We decided to go to the cinema and watch Saw 3, but we had a couple of hours before so had a little nap because we were all shattered.

The fil;m was really good and i love the Saw trilogy....However the same cannot be said for White. He literally cowered behind his hands the entire time. I know he doesnt like blood and it was VERY gory but still....even Michaela winced far less!

We are now back at the hostel and ready to go to bed. Before that though we have to pack as we must check out at 10am and we have to pick up the hire car in the morning and then meet Dan.

Auckland