Day 4

Johannesburg Travel Blog

Day 4

Today we were up early to help with the South African cycle race, which ran through the lodge. I had to stand at a point where the cyclists came onto the road and stop the traffic with my red flag…. not all the locals paid any attention to me.

After the race we got breakfast at the lodge with Phillip (a lodge shareholder) who told us all about the battles that had taken place in the area, like that of Spion Kop, and with Raymond (Lynette’s husband) who we met for the first time.

After breakfast, we again had to search for Ashley’s bull, which had gone missing….

Ashley…. Í hope my bull hasn’t wandered down into the next camp! There’s a camp of Heffers down there….’

Mikay…..’Fat people?!?!?!?’

Ashley….’A Heffer is a virgin cow Michaela….’

Later we had lunch back at the farm with Ed and some of his old friends…they were quite funny and like Ed were thrown out of Zimbabwe in 2001 with the rest of the white farmers. It is fascinating to hear their story and really quite sad. I’d love to have a proper conversation with him about it all…..if only he could hear me….

He did however kindly take us on a drive in the Spion Kop game reserve, which is literally next door to his farm. We have seen rhino next to the road and in the mornings you can see Zebra from his veranda. We didn’t see much on the drive…good thing really as we were sitting in the back of a pick-up with not much defence! But we will be going again…. on horseback.

We slept for about 3 hours after the drive cause we were so tired and woke to the nicest dinner yet…. spaghetti Bolognese. It was gorgeous and a nice change from the fruit and vegetable ridden food that preceded.

After dinner we finished watching England get stuffed by New Zealand in rugby and FOUND SOME TOP DECK!! The nicest Cadbury’s chocolate bar in the world that you can only get over here so I went to sleep happy.