Day 13

Johannesburg Travel Blog

This morning I woke up early and couldn’t sleep so went over to the crèche. I really enjoy spending time with the kids and love it when Zinhle, a girl with mosquito bite scars on her face, runs over to you as soon as you walk in. I was a bit gutted that Precious was ill today so wasn’t there.

Around 10am we went to Mpondweni to finish the vegetable garden. We dug pathways across the patch so that the vegetables can be looked after without being ruined and then lined them with rocks. We used the compost we bought in Estcourt and then with the help of the children started to sew the seeds.

After Bernadette picked us up and Andy travelled in the open boot with the wheelbarrow, we when to the lodge to give Lynette her birthday present which she loved. We had birthday dinner with the family and then had a swim with little Tristan, Jessica and Bernadette.

In the evening we went again to Country Club Tuesday! Again the drinks were cheap and after a few we started to play pool. I beat Mark Raif in a best of 3 and then Whitey and I played doubles against Mark and Surfer Jay. All I have to say is that we ended up running around the pool table completely naked as a forfeit….

Ashley and Bernadette eventually arrived later on and we also met Mark Raid’s sister Penny. Joseph got quite annoyed at us for staying so late. Mark ordered 10 cane and coke…. No said Joseph…ok then make that 5 cane, 5 brandy…. that’s ok then! ha

When we eventually said goodbye to Joseph we thought the night was over…but it certainly was not. I assumed we were getting a lift home but we stopped and the Windene off license in Winterton and more drinks were bought and drunk on the side of the road. It was a great night…Ashley was hilarious making fun of our vegetable patch when we told him….’’I don’t need stones!!!’’ And both him and Berna started calling me ‘sparkle’ because I was wearing my Rolling Stones t-shirt.

The police eventually came and noticed that there were about 6 buckies (pick ups) but every single person was drunk….

‘Is this your bucky sir?’

‘Yer that’s my bucky but im not driving it….the guy who is is down there in the shadows…go find if you want.’

The police are quite corrupt.

When we got dropped off Pig beeped quite a lot and woke the Pickard’s up at about half 3am! When Elena came out Michaela explained we were beeping as we couldn’t find the key…why we would beep because of that I don’t know…I was stroking the dog acting sober and Andy was on all fours cotching. What a night….