Day 12

Johannesburg Travel Blog

This morning we woke up to find it had been pouring with rain all night and it carried on through the morning, which meant that there was no chance that the children of Schitsdrift would be at school…. And they weren’t. So, Ashley took us in to Winterton where I cashed some cheques for him and enlisted the help of some of the local kids to help push his range when it wouldn’t start. He then took us to a little shopping centre, which was more touristy just outside Winterton. We bought a present; a foot care kit in a basket thing, for Lynette’s birthday tomorrow and some souvenirs. I got a Zulu bracelet lined with ostrich egg.

After the shopping Ashley took us up to an adventure centre in the Drakensberg. First we did quad biking, which was really good and did a few spins after skidding in to corners too quickly. We were going along quite nicely until our guide stopped us…we had no idea why until we looked around and saw that instead of sharply turning, Michaela had carried on going and basically ended up down a hill in the wilderness…very funny. Next we did the big zip line from up on the hill which was really good but I really hurt my knee getting off which may well have put pay to me playing touch rugby tomorrow night.

The adventure centre really made me see how good Ashley has been to us. When the school was closed he could have just taken us home or to the town…we didn’t know the centre existed so it would have made no difference to us, but he took us there anyway. He suggested it and took us even though he didn’t want to do any of the activities. I really appreciated that. CHEERS BUGGAH!

Back at home we met Ted, a family friend of the Pickard’s who is partially sighted.