VIrtual friends and real guns

Calgary Travel Blog

Niiizzzzeee :P
Having had patches of geekness in my life (probably I still have them occasionally) I have some virtual friends around the globe I only know by their voice in online games. The leader from my last clan (or commanding officer from my unit as I'm supposed to say to stay in character) lived in Calgary so I thought why not meeting him in real life? Pretty weird to meet in reality somebody you only know from a fantasy world... might be a spotty teenager or a freaky recluse, who knows? But meeting Rick I guess again showed most gamers are pretty normal people, in this case: fireman by profession, married, allround decent person. Being a friendly guy he even put me up for the night.

I thought it would be fitting do some real shooting instead of the virtual we had been doing in the past and we had a go at the shooting range.
Putting holes in the paper bad guy.
Of course we went for the Thompson submachine gun as being WWII geeks had brought us to the Red Orchestra game in the first place.

A 20-something girl was the range officer and explained us a bit briefly how to use and reload the the Thompson and a small handgun. Her first question was actually 'I suppose you know the basics right?'. Eh, well, yeah I have been shooting guns virtually since forever, but maybe you could point out how it exactly works??

Anyway it was a blast. The first time I shot the small handgun it actually scared the shit out of me. It was so loud it seemed it will paralyse somebody mainly with fear instead of hitting him. As the accuracy is pretty terrible and it has such a huge kick it takes you a bit to get it aimed for a second shot. The Thompson was pretty stable though, although the aiming site is so basic you realise it wasn't meant for anything but really close fighting. No chance of hitting anything beyond 50m except if you're really lucky.
manuel_s says:
And me thinking you guys went around shooting Grizzlies all the time :P
Posted on: Apr 03, 2009
bschooled says:
hahaha...I have lived in Calgary my whole life and didn't even know we had a shooting range...

the things you learn on TB!
Posted on: Apr 03, 2009