Belo Horizonte Travel Blog

Brasil has truly taken my heart captive.  The sights, smells, and sounds of the busy city of Belo Horizonte seem so familiar now.  How does one begin to put down on paper all the emotions experienced in a short 3 week visit?

I flew down with my best friend, Robin, who actually lived in BH last year.  We didn't do anything spectacular, but we did hang out a whole lot (something Brasilians do very well) and did some hard-core shopping at BH Shopping.  I recommend Renner to get Brasilian fashion at a not-so-high expense.

My favorite places to eat?  Eddie's (in Sion) which is an American type burger joint, Baby Beef (wonderful churrascaria), and Easy Ice, which serves the best ice cream and acai in BH (in my humble opinion).

I also loved Ouro Preto, which is about an hour or so by bus from BH.  We ate a wonderful, filling meal at a gorgeous little establishment, paying only 7.80 reais for a plateful of homemade Brasilian food.  Wear comfy shoes!!  You WILL walk a lot and up and down steep, cobblestoned hills.  Don't forget your camera too!

Things to do in BH: Central Market, the hippie fair on Sundays (go early, as in 630am), and the flower market on Fridays.

Basically, Brasil is the best place to find amazing food and beverages that aren't so expensive.  Since I have lots of friends there, I never had to pay for a hotel, which was nice, and I had instant tour guides.