Ready for the Himalaya?

Amsterdam Travel Blog

... I really don’t know. But it’s now too late anyway. I’m going... today. The flight itself already seems a bit of an adventure: from Amsterdam to London with British Midland, and then with Gulf Air to Abu Dhabi and finally Kathmandu. I’m supposed to arrive there on Tuesday 4 October at 15.55, that’s 12.10 CET (yep, 3 hours and 45 minutes time difference, apparently to tell the difference with India). I’m expecting no problems with the passport check however, as I bought the novel of the Dutch consul general (funny thing to include advertising in the visa application form). The plan is to update my blog every so often when I’m in the big cities like Kathmandu and Pokhara.

For the first time in my life I’m going to do a real organised tour longer than 1 week. The organisation that got the honour is Mambo. The trip includes 11 days of trekking and 2 days of rafting. And that’s the part I’m slightly worried about, as physical education was definitely not my thing in secondary school. However, I really enjoyed the trekking in New Zealand, and I love spectacular mountain scenery, so Nepal is a logical destination. After all, mountain scenery doesn’t get any better than in the Himalaya’s. To prepare I went hiking a few times in the Ardennes in Belgium, pretty much the only area in the Benelux where it’s possible to do a decent hike (with altitude differences), and to drive to and from in one day, as is it’s only a 2-hour drive. I also got some new gear: windproof, waterproof and breathable pants, and a Camelbak to drink while hiking. I just hope I have enough battery power to keep my dad’s Canon Powershot S50 operating, since 5 battery packs is not a great deal when hiking in the mountains for 11 days without electricity. Nepal is definitely a place where I can get out of Western civilization for a while. Wish me luck.

Amsterdam