books books books...

Boscastle Travel Blog

..when I pick one up I cant leave it alone. Carol gave me this book about Indians in North america.

Duty of prayer..

"In the life of the indian there is only one evitable duty - the duty of prayer - the daily recognition of the unseen and eternal. His daily devotions to him were more necessary to him than daily food. He wakes at daybreak puts on his moccasins and steps down to the waters edge. Here he throws handfuls of clear water into his face or plunges in bodily. After the bath, he stands erect before the advancing dawn, facing the sun as it dances upon the horizon, and offers his unspoken orison. His mate may precede or follow him in his devotions, but never accompanies him. Each soul must meet the morning sun, the new sweet earth and the great silence alone!" - Ohiyesa

..What can you offer?..

"The sun dance is so sacred to us that we do not talk of it often..... The cutting of the bodies in fulfillment of a sun dance wow is different from the cutting of flesh when people are in sorrow. A man´s body is his own, and when he gives his body or his flesh he is giving the only thing that belongs to him.... thus, if a man says he will give a horse to wakan tanka, he is only giving what already belongs to him. I might give tobacco or other articles in the sun dance, but if I have these and kept back the best no one would believe I was in earnest. I must give something that I really value to show that my whole being goes with the lesser gifts; therefor I promise to give my body.

A child believes that only the action of someone who is unfriendly can cause pain, but in the sun dance we acknowledge first the goodness of wakan tanka, and then we suffer for what he has done for us."  - Mato kuwapi

..To a healing power.

"The old Lakota was a true naturist - a lover of nature.

He loved the earth and all things of the earth, the attachment growing with age, the old people came literally to love the soil and they sat or reclined on the ground with a feeling of being close to a mothering power. It was good for the skin to touch the earth and the old people liked to take off their moccasins and walk with bare feet upon the sacred earth and their altars were made of earth. The birds that flew in the air come to rest upon the earth and it was the final abiding place for all things that lived and grew. The soil was soothing, strengthening, cleansing and healing. That is why the old Indian stilss sits upon the earth instead of propping himself up and away from it´s life giving forces. For him, to sit or lie upon the ground is to be able to think more deeply and feel more keenly; he can see more clearly into the mysteries of life and come closer in kinship to other lives about him..." - Cheif standing bear.

Myrtle Cottage - Bed &  Breakfast & Tea garden
Bob and Carol´s friends are running a Bed & Breakfast. Molly & College are married since sometime ago and they love eachother. Molly is a 72 years old hardheaded woman. College is significantly younger, constantly stoned or drinking, and he is gay. Nevertheless they are managing to run a very good Bed & Breakfast togheter. Every thursdays as today, there is Curry night at Myrtle Cottage and we are invited for the party.

There is Basil, College and Simon in Myrtle tea garden sippin on a drink, smoking on some greens. "All governments are lying cocksuckers".... "Yea, but look at the sky man it´s amazing" Collage studders as he speaks slowly for the others to catch the message. God dont care about laws, you cant tell a mushroom not to grow. Basil has a dog named Blue and a big mustache, and tells story´s like "listen, man" and "So I told them, man". This is the postcard Im looking for down  in the shop, but it´s nowhere to be found. It´s an easy life here, not trying to accomplish to much.

Collage drove his car right on top of some bushes earlier in the day, he came running to us saying that it´s still on, the dinner is still on. Assuming that bad news travels fast. He was in a hurry to go and pick up the eggs. And probably he was in the pub before departure having a pint or two, or three. He must have been driving pretty fast because his car is high up in the air far up in the bushes.

Terrible, irresponsible people.

But still, it´s all the freaky people that make the beauty of the world.

And the curry is really tasty.
Boscastle