sightseeing in hamilton

Hamilton Travel Blog

after not being able to win the hostel poker tournament the night before i went to bed early to do some refining of my pokerstrategies (read: i was tired and wanted to sleep early :-)

i woke up refreshed and ready to checkout! on my scotland trip in august i met the 2 charming girls carissa and julie that live in toronto and would guide me through the niagara falls later that day and i was picked up by julie from the hostel and stayed my last night in toronto in her house in stoney creek (actually hamilton hehe), a suburb some minutes away from the city.

unfortunately over the last few days a bad idea was occupying my mind... and today was the day of truth: i had to buy a laptop! i was sick of running from inet cafe to inet cafe while there is wireless lan everywhere... and often for free! since nothing happened to my valuables and i wasnt really sweating yet because of too much weight on my shoulders i decided to get a macbook (of course, never again something else)

how nice to finally be able to process my pics, plan my travels and write my blog entries while on the move! and i hope to gain some time for exploring the cities since i no longer have to run around in search for a place to check my mails... so no entertaining stuff on my harddisk :-)

well anyway, finding a shop that stocked the new macbook series was not easy but we did eventually... no i only have to hope that the return of the 200 cad vat will work flawlessly so that i got my macbook really cheap :-)

besides my shopping spree, stoney creek and hamilton had to be explored! julie guided me to the impressive stoney creek (a small "river" through the town), the stoney creek castle (a watchtower in a park) and last but not least, the stoney creek mountain, a probably 100m hill with a view over the area (and on some perfect days, including toronto, i hear :-) )

again, i love to explore suburbs in north america as they are one of the most interesting places to be... so much to miss if you just hang around downtown areas of the big cities

in the evening, carissa + her and julies boyfriends joined for the trip to the niagara falls! and, as always when im visiting some falls, it rained! still no snow on my trip but rain is at least a first step :-)

the falls itself are not that impressive, partly because of the mist, partly of the rain, partly of the bad illumination during the night and more than partly because of the still fresh memory of the iguacu falls

but the town built around the falls is great: thousands of overpriced attractions and venues that have nothing to do with the falls (e.g. haunted houses, casinos) but make everything look colorful and las vegasish! still in gambling mood after my 3rd place in the poker tournament i went on to gamble 5 cad at the slot machines, with fab return of ... 0% of course... ah well, blame canada!!!

Hamilton