sidetripping to the philippines

Manila Travel Blog

my jetstar flight from singapore to manila departed at 0750 from the airport which meant mrt is going to be a bit risky so i decided to take a taxi. luckily a korean guy also had an early flight so we shared the ride.

singapore airport is nice! prices for consumer electronics there are quite ok, too. didn't buy anything though, and i'm proud i've resisted :)

the flight left on time and i had the whole row of 3 seats for my own (almost the only empty seats in the plane, though). that's it about the nice things, jetstar is pretty crappy. not even a glass of water for free, but the proud (!) answer "we charged since day 1 for everything!"... congrats... baa budget airlines... can't wait to get back to rtw ticket trips, 3.5 hours can get a bit dry :)

in manila the immigration checkpoint is quite inefficient and after that they try to get you a coupon taxi ride out of the airport. i asked around, found myself on the main street and hopped into a metered cab (with a cop hitting on it with his stick because the driver was still more or less in airport area hehe)

off we went and it felt like in quito, ecuador again - my first airport taxi ride on this trip. traffic is crazy... not only congested but also risky. wherever the spaniards did their thing a few centuries ago, chaos prevails forever hehe

people speak good english and at least malate, the area where we are staying, doesn't look half as bad as i expected. feels very south american walking around the streets :)
Manila