Day 2 Continued: Memphis

Memphis Travel Blog

After a pleasant drive through the Tennessee countryside we finally arrived in Memphis.  The best way to see a city is to hoof it, so we parked the truck and started walking.  We knew there are two things you have to experience in Memphis:  music and bar-b-q.  As newbies to the city, and as we did have to keep moving, we kept to the must see area of Beale Street.  We weren't quite sure where to start so we headed to the Hard Rock Cafe for a beer and some planning time.  The bartender was very helpful as to what bars and restaurants to hit.  As an added bonus, the Hard Rock Cafe Memphis is home to the largest Elvis memorabilia collection outside of Graceland.
  Cool stuff.  Next stop was to get some real Memphis "Q".  The pig was the most highly-recommended place for authentic bbq on Beale Street, and I understand why.  Now I know the touristy spots tend to be a bit weaker than local haunts, but "The Pig" was delicious and reasonably priced.  To this day it is still the best BBQ I've ever had.  After dinner it was time for drinks and music.  Right across the street was the Blues City Cafe and we could hear some live Johnny Cash music floating out into the street calling to us.  We answered and saw one of the best cover shows I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing.  The singer, Gary Hardy, sounded just like Cash and told the back story behind every song.  After a couple sets we headed to the Irish pub down the street called Silky O'Sullivan's.   We had to come for two reasons: 1, it's an Irish Pub; 2, they have a beer-drinking goat.  'Nuff said.  After a few pints we headed to a place called the Flying Saucer Draught Emporium which has over 200 beers to choose from.  We had a few and played darts with a few locals.  After 1 am or so we decided we'd like to try to make it to New Orleans the next day so we hit the road again, but not before I practiced driving the stick in the parking garage for a few minutes.  No problem!
Memphis