Day 1: Continued

Waikiki Travel Blog

Room with a view... ahhh
After a very long flight in the back of coach and riding bitch (middle seat) between two other gentlemen of sizeable stature I finally made it to Honolulu.  I did find a silver lining in the cloud that was my very long delay from Detroit to Portland: my luggage was the last on the plane bound from Portland to Hawaii, thus my luggage was the first off when we arrived!  This was very exciting for me.  Instead of hailing a cab, I took a shuttle bus from the airport to my hotel.  20 bucks roundtrip, not bad.  My hotel is much nicer than I thought it would be.  It's a half block from Waikiki beach and is very clean, if not exactly modern.  Hey, for $82 a night I certainly won't complain.  I have a lanai and a great view of the ocean and of Diamond Head.  I'm right in the heart of town too (see my review of the Waikiki Resort Hotel).  Got freshened up and walked around a bit.  Hadn't eaten anything but jerkey for 18 hours (no layover to eat).  Had a combo plate at a Korean BBQ takeout joint in the international marketplace.  Not bad but a bit weird.  The chicken was great though.  I'll just have to get used to pickled seaweed and fermented cabbage (kimchee), of which I tasted for the first time today.   Walked down the beach barefoot.  The moon is almost (or just past) full.  Walked around town and decided to get a beer.  I had a locally brewed porter that was really good.  Met a guy named Peter who works for an environmental consulting firm.  I'll have to send him my resume when I get back to Detroit.  Stopped at the ever-present ABC store to inquire about monthly bus pass.  It's $40 but only a couple stores have 'em.  I'll pick one up tomorrow.  Checked myspace at the hotel, Crystal says Halloween is huge here, gotta put together a costume.  Hope she calls!  Going to bed at 10:15 pm local time but to me it's 4am!
photo by: mrgishi