NZ 1997

Auckland Travel Blog

My first “proper” travel experience.  Went to the North Island with my friend Amanda the Kiwi.  Had a stop over in Singapore and of course we had to try a Singapore Sling (or 2) in the Writer’s Bar in Raffles.  We were so determined to fit as much in as we could that I think we slept for about 2 hours while we were there.

New Zealand was fantastic.  We spent some time with Amanda’s family in Auckland ,   exploring the city • usual Sky Tower and Auckland Museum stuff.  I loved visiting Devonport • absolutely adorable.  Spent ages in a second hand bookshop but can’t remember the name.  Oh I wish I’d kept a diary because trying to remember all the little details 9 years later is really difficult!  I have learnt since.

On to Rotorua stopping at the Blue and Green lakes on the way • really could tell the difference!  Why don’t cameras always capture what your saw at the time?

Loved Rotorua but it was so rainy (and coming from a Brit that’s saying something!).  Sitting in a thermal spa in a really nice backpackers’ hostel was a bit surreal.  Can’t believe how different it is to YHA in England!

Spent a few days up at the Bay of Islands which was just idyllic.  Unfortunately crashed that car I was driving when going to a kauri forest but wasn’t hurt and definitely didn’t mar my NZ experience.  Spent some more time in Auckland before a (very tearful) flight back to Manchester. Left Amanda to spend some more time with her family and I felt very grown up (at the age of 25!) flying half way around the world on my own.

Now my Kiwi friend has a young family and is moving back to NZ very soon.  I’ll really miss them but can’t wait to visit them!