Imodium to the Rescue!

Novo Pokrovka, Issyk Kul Oblast Travel Blog

The inevitable sunset-over-the-lake picture!
I think it was about 10 in the evening when the trouble really started, and I got little sleep that night; unfortunately, I fear that the same was true for Irina's father, with whom I was sharing a room. I gained a closer acquaintance with The Hut than I would ever have believed possible, and I was also running a temperature; I remember almost passing out on one of my panic-stricken nocturnal trips down the garden. The only good thing was that I was not actually sick, and that ample imodium and rehydration was to hand. My last minute dash to Boots, on the morning that I flew out, was amply justified!

Dawn broke, as it does, and my trips became more embarrassingly public, but also less frequent as imodium worked its magic. I confess to longing for a bottle of kaolin and morphine mixture, which I once took for a similar attack - the kaolin dries you up, and the morphine knocks you out for about 24 hours, after which you wake up feeling all better. At some point during the morning Irina, who acted as nurse, took my temperature - it was 103 deg F (39.4 deg C), so I was clearly not out of the woods yet, but I was definitely getting better and managed to doze for quite extended periods. I tried to encourage Irina and her father to go on a planned expedition, but she refused, and spent the day in quiet domesticity, chatting with the family and helping Nastya to read English.

Late in the afternoon I really felt a lot better, and although I declined dinner I wanted to get up and dressed in order to assess my condition. By dusk, at about 8 o'clock, I felt brave enough to go for a walk with Irina along the road that borders Issyk Kul. There was a beautiful sunset over the lake, but it was not all as idyllic as you might suppose. The youth of the area have nothing to do, and alcohol is to be had at all hours. Battered old cars overloaded with half-drunk teenagers roared up and down the road, and when as darkness fell we encountered some dubious characters on foot Irina thought that it would be prudent to turn back. However, the purpose of the expedition had been achieved; I was clearly fit to appear in public again.

We had not originally planned to return home the next day, but Irina and her father decided that we should do so if I was well enough, because one of the tyres had developed a slow puncture. With no repair facilities anywhere, and with the spare being 170 miles away in Bishkek, the idea was to drive home as soon as possible, pumping up the tyre whenever it was so flat that the wheel rim was in danger. It was refreshing to experience such pragmatic decision-making; instead of making urgent calls to the AA and worrying about the Construction and Use Regulations, the options were simple: either we spend the rest of our lives in Novo Pokrovka, or we drive home with a slow puncture. It was, as they say, a no-brainer; and as I was making a good recovery we determined to start back next morning.
The inevitable sunset-over-the-lak…