William Wallace

Stirling Travel Blog

View from Stirling Castle
Stirling is a great city to visit.  Colleen and I decided to take a day trip to Stirling.  It was only about half an hour by train to Stirling from Perth, so it was easy to get there.  It was a beautiful day today, which is nice, because we've seen some rain lately.

Stirling has a great castle.  As is typical of many towns with castles, the whole town is oriented around the castle, which is situated at the top of a hill.  Stirling castle has been restored very well, and it has many wonderful displays.  We had a really fun (free) tour guide walk us around the castle and give us all sorts of fun stories about William Wallace and the battles he fought around the area (and if you didn't know, Robert the Bruce didn't betray William Wallace - you can't trust everything you see in the movies).
Colleen and Beth by the Campfire

One thing they are doing at Stirling Castle is recreating a set of tapestries titled 'The Hunt of the Unicorn.'  The originals are at the Met in New York, and they are painstakingly reproducing them by hand at Stirling castle.  It's a set of 7 beautiful tapestries, detailing the story of a hunt of a unicorn.  It takes about 4 years to make each tapestry, with 4-6 people working full time on it continuously.  Wow - that's a lot of work.  They have two tapestries complete, and they are working on the next two.  They should be done in another 10-12 years or so.

After the castle, we went down to the old town jail, where a very talented actor took us through the prison as though we were prisoners checking in.  It was quite a bit of fun.

After returning to Perth, we went out for dinner with Beth and her mom.  I got to play football (that's 'soccer' to you Yankees) with Sam, Beth's younger brother (probably 10-12 years old).  He had a small football field in his back yard, and we had quite a bit of fun.

Beth took us to a youth group outing at someone's home for a campfire.  I'd never seen anyone take flaming sticks from the fire and swordfight before.  After the fight was over, I found some burning embers in the middle of the grassy field - I suppose I should be grateful that it rained yesterday.  :)
Stirling