Remembering Oxford

Oxford Travel Blog

Off to Oxford I went to see old friends, hoping that they would remember me and that I would recognize them. Back in the spring of 1998, I did a semester abroad in Oxford with several friends, and we attended Albert Street Chapel on Sunday mornings.

I had to consult my map to remember how to get to church (it's been eight and a half years), but I went and joined about ten others in the sanctuary. After the service I was pleasantly surprised to find that David Cooke, the pastor, did remember me (and my name), and I ended up going to the Cooke's house for lunch and the Hope's home for tea. I had such a wonderful time catching up with them, and I was amazed to see how much the children had grown up (last I saw them, the eldest were 10 and 12 years old, and now they are in college and engaged to be married. It's amazing what all can happen in a few years.

After tea, I spent some time wandering around Oxford, and pleasant memories flooded me as I turned each corner. I went back to Shoe Lane, heard the Carfax Tower chime the time, and much more.

In due time, dusk came, and I took the bus back to London for another night's sleep.

photo by: petit_gooroo