AsiaChinaXi'an

Flying water

Xi'an Travel Blog

Chen and I at the restaurant

After we dropped off my bag, we headed to a nearby, very crowded restaurant.  Tom and Chen picked out foods they thought I would like.  We ended up with sweet and sour pork, green beans and garlic, and a vegetable Tom called "purple" that looked suspiciously like eggplant.

We then caught a taxi over to the wild goose pagoda for the fountain show.   It was incredibly crowded, Tom estimated there were at least 3,000 people there, in a fountain about the size of a football field.  During the show they played music and the fountains would spout high in the air.  Many people actually stood in the fountain to get drenched and dance.  We started watching from the top and then went down into a fountain in a place we thought we were safe.

Tom and I at the Pagoda
  But while Chen was taking a photo she stepped over to the side a little too far and a fountain turned on and drenched her.  Luckily it was a warm night, so she dried off quickly.

After the show, everyone was trying to get a taxi so it was impossible for us to get out of there.  We bought some candy coated grapes on a stick and a taxi showed up right when we were paying.  We ran across the street to make it in time.  By then it was too late to go anywhere, so we went back to Tom's for tea.

Tom showed me how to use their shower which was very complicated.  I had to stand with one foot on the toilet and another on a tub and reach up high to turn a lever, then repeat this when I was done.  I ended up sharing a bed with Chen for the night.  It was a typical Chinese bed- meaning it was a hard board with a thin comforter over it and a pillow I believe was filled with rice.  But I was exhausted so I had no problems sleeping at all!

The fountain show