Flying all over China

Jiayuguan Travel Blog

Sculpture Garden

Last night when I got back to the hotel it was locked for the night.  (At 8pm!)  After yelling and knocking to no avail, I finally squeezed my fingers through the opening between the doors and slowly pushed the wooden block locking them to the side to get in.  In the morning I checked out of the hotel and the two girls working there pulled my arm and walked me over to a wall.  They pointed at a little rock sitting next to the wall and pointed over, they thought I had scaled the wall to get in!  I showed them the trick with the door and then they understood.

I walked over to the fort to have some tea, and then bought an ear of corn from a food vendor for breakfast.  My cab was waiting for me, so off to the airport.  This airport was extremely tiny, with only two "gates".

The road to the airport
  They only have two flights per day.  The desk to check in didn't open until 10 minutes before the flight, yet they somehow got everyone checked in, through security and on board for the plane to land on time.

The plane first stopped in Lanzhou, then I didn't even know where I was for the second stop.  (Turned out it was Qingyang).  Eventually we got to Xi'an.

In Xi'an I took the bus to the Melody hotel where I met Tom (his English name, real name is Liu).  I then walked with Tom to meet his girlfriend Chen who didn't speak much English.  We went to their apartment which was very much the type of place most Chinese live.  HE lived on the fourth floor of an old walkup building that was simply made of concrete.  His apartment was very bare, the main room had nothing in it at all and the kitchen didn't have a fridge or stove or anything.  Gotta go, more later.

The airport