AsiaChinaEnshi

Ennui in Enshi

Enshi Travel Blog

Place I got dropped off

I was tempted to leave it there, but I think one of my parents might be a little too stressed out if I did.  (Hi Mom!)  Anyway, the guy I was standing next to flagged down a guy who stopped at the gas station.  Next thing I knew I was put into his car.  He was wearing a nice suit and driving a plan car, but it turned out he was a taxi driver.  He picked up other people as we went- wherever that was.  They seemed to have a good laugh about me, but I was pretty happy at this point that I was off the bus.  We drove 20 minutes to a bus stop where he found out the bus to Wuhan had just left.  I know this because my interpreter had given me his phone number to call whenever I needed.

Walls of temple
  The interpreter told me that if I could get to Enshi that I could easily get a bus to Wuhan.  So I assumed that was where the driver was taking me next.

As we drove through the original town again (no clue what it was called- I think I heard something like when when, but who knows) we picked up a family with a baby.  I think the driver began pitying me at this point.  We stopped at a roadside stop and he bought me some sort of triangular shaped corn and rice (I think) mixture wrapped in a corn husk.  It tasted like corn bread and was great since I hadn't had anything to eat thus far.  The driver also offered me tea from his thermos.  So we drove through beautiful countryside and I took pictures on occasion.

Dragon
  After awhile, the drive started stopping anytime something came up that he thought I should take a picture of.  We drove for an hour and a half all the way to Enshi!  I couldn't believe it.  We dropped off the family and then took off.

I naturally assumed he was taking me straight to the bus station, but I was rather bummed that I essentially lost an entire day of my trip without seeing much except through a bus/taxi window.  Maybe he thought the same thing.  First he took me to this pretty temple  where a bride was taking her pictures in her wedding gown and people were shaving their heads.  Then he drove me to this large complex.  It was surrounded by a large wall high in the hills and we walked to three different buildings inside.

In 9-story house
  The best was the nine stories tower, which was made almost entirely out of wood.  Through it, we climbed up some stairs to the drum tower where we could look over the entire area.

He then drove me to the bus station where we bought a ticket for a 2:30 bus to Wuhan.  It was then 12 and I could tell he was at a loss for what to do with me.  We stopped at a roadside fruit stand and bought these delicious things that looked like apples but tasted more like pears.  Then he took me to a friend's house.  We sat there with six of his friends, four women and three men and a cute baby girl.  The mother was holding the baby over the floor and whistling so she would poop on the floor.  (Babies usually don't wear diapers here, they just have an opening in the back of their clothes so they just go wherever, whenever).

Waiting for the bus
  I asked if I could take a picture of the baby and next thing I know they're handing the baby to me and taking my picture.  Then one of the guys came up and put his arm around me to take more pictures- looks like an odd family photo.  They took their own photos too, so I wonder what they'll tell people about the strange American girl.  It was rather boring though, I couldn't understand anything they said and they just talked among themselves the entire time pretty much ignoring me.  They served me tea and made me noodles with rib meat which was very good.  Then the whole entourage came to the bus station and waited with me for 20 minutes to make sure I got on okay.  They were very sweet.

reikunboy says: