Durian IS nasty

Hong Kong Travel Blog

Symphony of lights

This morning I said goodbye to my hosts Luyen and Nicholas and headed back to the airport for my final destination: Hong Kong.  Upon arrival I attempted to navigate Hong Kong's bus system independently following my host's instructions.  After a scenic tour of Hong Kong, I finally arrived in Tai Po and met Pat.  She walked me to her apartment a few blocks away and finished up her work for the day while I caught up on the news.  It was a hot and humid day and sitting on the couch for 4 hours I snoozed quite a bit until she finished.  She then escorted me to the MTR (metro system) and pointed the way to my destination.  She was meeting friends for a movie on the other side of town, so I wouldn't see her again until much later.

Durian sundae

I found the Avenue of the Stars with no problem and waited until the Symphony of Lights started.  During the Symphony, they pipe in music over loudspeakers and dozens of the immense skyscrapers on either side of the bay light up in time to the music.  Cheesy, but pretty and a great time to view the incredible skyline.

I stumbled through the crowds and found my way to the Temple Street Night Market where everything imagineable was for sale.  I bought a number of gifts and some quail eggs for dinner.  They had several karaoke "bars" set up in the middle of streets.  But if I tried to take a picture, even from over a block away, some crazy lady (and there was one at each bar) would come running up and try to demand money so I gave up.

Pat

Pat eventually found me on the street and we took the bus back to her place.  We stopped at a dessert shop where I had a durian and saro sundae which was as bad as I had heard it would be.  Durian's a very strong flavored fruit that tastes like you would expect a rotting animal carcass to taste.  But the ice cream made it edible at least.

My sleeping arrangements involved a futon in her very tiny office.  It wouldn't have been too bad, but I was given a tiny blanket and she had the ac on high until 4am as she worked on her laptop right next to me with the light on.  Needless to say, I didn't sleep too well until she left to spend the night at her parent's apartment (which is where she sleeps every night).

IndoMaluku says:
I just loooooove durian!! The best fruit there is!!! so if you don't want your durian, just send it to me!! :D
Posted on: Dec 01, 2008
gejah says:
i did not eat this, but it is smelly. In dutch "stinkfruit" (or awfully bad smelling fruit)
Posted on: Dec 01, 2008