Cruising through the airport and harbor

Hong Kong Travel Blog

North Pole

So the flight was rather uneventful, though I only slept maybe three hours as opposed to the seven I had planned.  The best part of the trip was flying over the north pole.  I was wrong about the direction the flight was going to take.  I thought it was going west, turns out it went straight north!  I got some pics of the glaciers as we flew over, which if I can ever get to a place that I can upload photos, I will add on to here.  I was in the very back row on the plane, so the only person in my row was Anil, an Indonesian Indian (family's from India, grew up in Indonesia).  We actually arrived early in Hong Kong, just as the sun set.  I was on the perfect side of the plane because we flew around the islands as we landed.

First View of Hong Kong

As soon as we got there, I was greeted by a woman who apparently was incredibly happy and excited to tell me where the ferry tickets are sold.  They were easy to find and the last one of the day was taking off within 30 minutes.  Thankfullly I didn't have any checked luggage or I would have missed it.  As it was, I was very proud of myself getting off the plane, buying a ferry ticket, going through security, navigating the airport, and getting on the ferry all within 25 minutes.  The ferry was the fastest boat I've ever been on, we just zoomed through Hong Kong harbor.  I was a bit disturbed by the entertainment on the boat, they were playing episodes of America's Funniest Home Videos (post-Bob Sagat).  I'm really wondering about their impressions of Americans if that's what they see!  I slept for the last twenty minutes or so, and then we were suddenly in Shenzhen (mainland China).

Hong Kong