Crappy internet

Shenzhen Travel Blog

The ferry to Shenzhen

Once the ferry arrived and I went through customs, I was very suddenly standing outside the ferry terminal with no clue what to do next.  According to a sign, I had the options for a taxi (but I had no idea where I wanted to go), a bus (which I doubted was running anymore), and a free shuttle to the airport.  I opted for the shuttle.  The drivers on the shuttle (why there were two, I don't know) argued and pointed at me for about 10 minutes- at least it sounded like an argument.  Since I don't understand the language it really could've been anything.  But eventually we were off.  There was a cute little boy who I assume belonged to one of the drivers, who just stood at the front and sang and danced the whole way there.

View from hotel

Then I was at the airport and again didn't know what to do.  I thought I'd try my hand at one of the eticket kiosks to save time for my check-in the next day, but it was in Chinese and I really didn't know what I was doing.  I thought I might have some luck if I went a floor below to the arrivals area, and lo and behold, there was a desk that said tourist service!  I walked up and asked if they could help with a hotel, they showed me pictures of one nearby and called me a ride.  One of the women at the booth then walked me upstairs and waited with me 15 mintues until the driver arrived to make sure I got there ok.  My room was very cheap and pretty nice.  I was on the top floor (11) and had my own shower and AC which barely worked.

Breakfast
  After India, it was luxury to be sure.  I never figured out the TV despite trying for 20 minutes or so, but just as I was leaving the next morning and turning everything off, the TV suddenly turned on.  Go figure!

In the morning, I walked down the street which clearly was filled with only locals who looked at me rather strangely.  I went up to a street vendor and pointed to some warm drink- which I think was a mix of coconut juice and eggs- very yummy.  Most of the things on the street were fried, but I found something that looked like a quesadilla, but tasted like a sesame bun with spinach.  I watched all the adults in their blue uniforms walk off to work ( I assume there was a factory nearby, otherwise blue jumpsuits are just very in right now in Shenzhen) and the kids waiting for the school bus.

Kohler internet
  My ride to the airport was short and then the driver held up two fingers and said "two".  So I of course got out 2 RMB.  After a lot of confusion, I figured out he meant "twenty" and gave him that ($2.50).

I had been a bit concerned about the legitimacy of the website I had bought my tickets from after someone else I know got burned with using a Chinese website for Olympics tickets.  But I walked right up to the East Star Airlines desk and handed over my passport and suddenly had a ticket in my hand with no questions.  That was a relief!  While waiting for my flight, the thing I was most excited about was a new fruit- which may have been lychee, I know I've had it cut up before- and a can of water I bought in a vending machine- the can was clear!  It felt like aluminum though, not plastic so I was very impressed.  I made the mistake of taking my Malarone on an empty stomach which I paid for later with nausea and stomach cramps for hours.  Didn't make for a fun flight.  I tried having some wonton soup at the airport, which helped a little, but still didn't make it go away.

I had to laugh at the internet kiosk at the airport.  It was from Kohler!  So there was a display with a sink (not a toilet, too bad) and then a few computer scattered around.  I also could barely get on any website.  But hey, it was free.  The woman in charge yelled at me when I tried to insert a USB into the port and kept pointing at the sink and saying "Kohler".  Never figured that out, but I assumed she meant not to use the USB port so I didn't.  I wanted to tell her it was okay, that I've been to Kohler Wisconsin and it's not that great anyway, but I didn't know how to say it in Chinese.

I nearly missed my flight because the gate was changed at the last minute.  I heard a brief announcement in English and just barely heard my flight number and "final boarding".  I raced around and luckily found it just in time.

Shenzhen