Franconia Notch State Park

Franconia Travel Blog

Franconia Notch State Park is an AMAZING place - everyone should go here if you have any chance at all.

This is the State Park where the "Old Man in the Mountain" used to be before it collapsed in 2003.  I was really glad I had a chance to see it before it was gone.  When I first pulled over to look for it, I couldn't make it out - but once you find it, it's so obvious!!  It really looked like a man's face.

I went because I wanted to see the Gorge, and do the Flume Walk... and I especially wanted to see the famous covered bridge here, that I'd always loved in pictures and very much wanted to see in person.

The Flume was discovered in 1808, and it is a truly spectacular sight - but be forewarned, it's only open from around the beginning of May to the end of October each year, check their official website for the official dates each year.

There is a tram ride that will take you to the start of the Flume Walk; I really recommend this if you aren't in TIP TOP shape, because, because the hike down from the visitor's center to the start of the flume walk is very step and difficult, and not that amazing to see; best to save your energy for the Flume Walk yourself.  If you still have energy AFTER the Flume Walk, you can always hike back up yourself afterwards as opposed to talking the tram back.

Once you're done with the amazing Flume Walk, this whole area has incredible areas to stop, take a little mini hike, take some pictures, and see some amazing sights.  It was an incredible day, and one that I will also always remember fondly.

I continued on to North Conway to spend the night, knowing that I'd be moving on to Boston the next day...

mellemel8 says:
pics are gorgeous
Posted on: Aug 15, 2007
Amanda says:
That's horrible!! (and strange)....
Posted on: Jun 13, 2007
WaltJake says:
Oh, I love Franconia Notch! We planned a weekend trip up there in 03, and the "Old Man" collapsed ONE WEEK before we went! Never got to see him in person :(
There were all kinds of flowers and notes on a phone pole near the site, just like when someone is killed in an accident. The locals really took it hard!
Posted on: Jun 13, 2007