Day Trip to Harpers Ferry, West Virginia!

Harpers Ferry Travel Blog

A friend of mine picked me up this morning and we were off to Harpers Ferry, West Virginia

The drive from Northern VA to Harpers Ferry doesn't take too long, just over an hour.  It's a beautiful drive, which was a highlight in itself.

Harpers Ferry is in Jefferson County West Virginia, and is quite near all the boarders of West Virginia, Maryland, and Virginia.  It's also right on the banks of both the Potomac and the Shenandoah Rivers; there is kind of a ravine at the bottom of the mountains that the two rivers created, and that's where the town is located.

Only about 300 people actually live here, and the town was established in the mid 1700's, and the buildings are really cool and it's cool to walk down the streets.

This is also one of the only towns that the Appalachian Trail actually passes directly through.  George Washington visited here; but the town seems to be most noted from a historical perspective John Brown's raid on the Armory in 1859.

While the town streets are interesting, to me, the highlight of this place was walking by the river, and some of the different walking paths that took you by the old bridges and railroad tracks.  It was so pretty, a great place to walk, think, take pictures, and just appreciate being there.  While there were a lot of other tourists, because of how wide open the place is, there are still a lot of chances to feel like you're alone.

This was a wonderful day for me, and I'll always be grateful to my friend for taking me to this wonderful, wonderful place.

Harpers Ferry