citytrip to madrid

Madrid Travel Blog

For only 80 Euros from Charleroi (Belgium) to Barajas (Spain/Madrid). When we arrived, we took the metro to our hostel. We stayed in Pop-hostel in the German room. Very nice place to stay, very basic.

We bought a tourist metro-ticket for 3 days (9 euros) and that was a good thing to do. We used the metro very often since we felt save and it is very simple to use. Sometimes we even used it, if we were too tired or too lazy to go by foot, for only 1 stop.

The first thing we did on Sunday was the market (rasto). I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many people.. That’s really something you should do if you’re in Madrid.

We noticed that every museum has a day when the entrance is free.

So we tried to go those days. Even though that’s not simple, because a lot of people have the same idea. We visited the pardo and royal palace and the cathedral in frond of the palace (cathedral de la almudera, very beautiful cathedral!)

Since I speak a little Spanish, I asked the owner of a very cool shop where we could eat in a cool, good but cheap restaurant. He showed us some places on the map and yes, we found a lot of cheap and good restaurants. For example a restaurant ‘Bazaar’ in libertad gongora. We found a great pizzaplace as well, but I don’t remember the name. We had Churos in a chocolateria along the way. J

We went to every ‘plaza’ there is. From plaza mayor to plaza de la villa, plaza puerta del sol, plaza la corrala and a lot more. We picnicked in ‘el parque de retiro’. We bought croissants and other sweets in a bakery on a corner, right in frond of you if you come out of the metro (sol). That bakery was always very crowded and now we know why.

And because we are girls … we went shopping in the gran via and alcala. We saw a lot of animation along the streets and that was really cool. But we also did a lot of shops in the neighborhood of our Hostel.

Madrid really is an amazing city and we had a great time. But we had a lot of luck with the weather. It was about 18°, and we Belgians are happy when the sun shines. We were in tops and shorts and the locals were wearing vests and scarps. Really funny.

Morle says:
Sounds like you had lots of fun! Great blog! :-)
Posted on: Apr 08, 2008