Four indipendent systems

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

elevater Star line
Kuala Lumpur has some metro lines which on the map look pretty good, on the map also it's called: Integrated rapid system. In fact it's everything but integrated.
1. There is no commmon fare system, so you pay every time you ride - when you change lines, you have to pay again.
2. There are no conections between lines. Ypu have to exit one system and enter another one, sometimes (like in case of Masjid Jamek station) you have even to cross street to be able to change trains! So why the heck they call it "integrated system"? I have no clue!
There are four totally separated systems of urban rapid transit:

Putra: 1 line (my favourite, because of the cool trains)
Star: 2 lines
Monorail: 1 line
Comuter train: 2 lines + Airport line (which is another service, maybe even another company, so practically it's the 5th system)

My funny story about metro in Kuala Lumpur is as follows:
We arrived at the bus ternimal, but since there was no information, and we couldnt get any city maps we didnt know in which part of city we were and how to get fastest to the hotel.
Putra line
I saw just a metro train on a elevated route, so we asked about the nearest station. then we went just one station to Masjid Jamek and changed lines (as mentioned, out of one system, cross the street, into another system) and again we payed and rode only 1 station. As then i got finally a city and metro map i relized, we didnt have to use metro at all, coz the bus terminal was close to the hotel. Hahahah. So next time - print ur own city map from the net when u come to a new town;)
Vanessa_Mun_Yee says:
I will have to say Kuala Lumpur has the most inconveinient metro/train system. I got confused sometimes! The express train to airport named ERL.
Posted on: Sep 02, 2009
KeikoCreative says:
ha ha well I know why u can't find your hotel easily coz over there is a big mess ha ha:P Not sure how is it when u guys were there. Couple of times I was at that area, is very messy due to the construction nearby:P
Posted on: Aug 26, 2009
jegs76 says:
exactly, we stayed in teh middle of chinatown!
Posted on: Aug 26, 2009
underground section
underground section
Putra line tracks
Putra line tracks
Putra again
Putra again
Last star-train when going back to…
Last star-train when going back t…
star elevated