Wednesday (day 26) in Wiesbaden

Wiesbaden Travel Blog

Wehrheim farming

More intermittent rain today so we tried to go back to Wehrheim and Oberhain while it was briefly clear. The two towns are within walking distance of each other in the middle of an agricultural region. My husband’s great-grandfather’s parents were from these towns and the families had resided there for a long time. Chances are some of their descendants are there now. We talked (sort of) to a few people (they said “staten” and seemed to be amazed at meeting someone from the USA).

I took photos in each town and we walked around for awhile. Probably some of these house survived WWI and II and the “Green Man” at the crossing in Oberhain is obviously very old. Wehrheim is still an agricultural town, with tractors parked in the garages and a definite scent of horses in one part of town.

Wehrheim lane
After shopping for cheese in the Wehrheim market, we returned to Wiesbaden.

We had nothing in particular to do or to see so I got to do one of my favorite things - wander around and photograph anything that is visually interesting. We discovered that Wiesbaden has a large pedestrian shopping area that is very near our hotel. We walked and window-shopped until it was time for dinner.

The Europeans, especially the Eastern Europeans, have a very different set of priorities than people in the US. At home we spend most our disposable income on improving our houses and then we spend most our disposable time sitting in these houses. We tend to isolate ourselves behind our house walls and watch reality shows on TV.

The Europeans, who probably have less disposable income and more disposable time, spend a lot of that disposable income on public spaces, like central squares with cafes, markets etc. They then spend their disposable time sitting in the squares and cafes visiting with each other and having wonderful, carefully-cooked meals. In the US we eat prepared packaged meals from Lean Cuisine or the local grocery store. If we go out to eat, it’s likely to be just the family and to focus on convenience rather than quality. Every time my husband and I travel in Europe, he remarks on how much better the Europeans are at the basic living of life. We could learn a lot from them.

Wehrheim view