Tuesday (day 25) travel to Wehrheim

Wehrheim Travel Blog

view driving into Wehrheim, Germany

Yesterday we tried to drive into the Black Forest so we could hike along the ridgeline for a bit. However, as soon as we started to drive up toward the heights, we were in heavy fog; not good for driving and making sightseeing totally pointless. We retreated back to the area around Freudenstadt and window shopping. Since all I’ve bought so far is books and my husband probably can’t carry anymore of them, I’m reduced to buying only things I can consume. . . like chocolate.

We have a standard travel rule that we never eat meals in the hotel where we stay. We broke that rule for dinner twice in Freudenstadt, the meals at Hotel Baren were that good. It’s a family run hotel and the hosts are such warm people that the language barrier was no problem.

Wehrheim houses
If you can say “Was ist goot?” or point at the meal on an adjacent table, you can eat well. Claudia was our waitress (and I suspect the daughter of the chef and the hotel manager) and she took good care of us.

Reluctantly today we left Freudenstadt and drove from the Black Forrest to a small town near Frankfurt, Germany. It rained the whole day but we were on autobahns so the drive wasn’t bad. My husband didn’t drive quite so fast today (well, most of the time).

Wehrheim is a small town near Frankfurt and my husband’s great-grandfather was born there in 1835. It was still raining when we arrived so we took a quick look around and retreated to a hotel room in Wiesbaden.  However, first we had lunch in Wehrheim. . . it had been over 10 hours since the last meal and we were almost skeletons from lack of food.   Naturally we tried the local cuisine which was a pizza Romana served by an Indian family.

Wehrheim