Thursday (day 13) in Budapest, Hungary

Budapest Travel Blog

Budapest at night

Budapest, Hungary  I want to see Mathias Church (gothic)

We loved Budapest and want to come back here as soon as possible.  The fact that there have been political demonstrations in the street wasn’t a problem.  As our guide pointed out the demonstrators are working people and they have to be at work during the day.  Since we weren’t there during prime evening demonstration time we shouldn’t be affected.  As it turned out all we saw was one government  armored vehicle and lots of TV news feed trucks.

Budapest
  No demonstrators in sight.

This is a marvelous city but we only had from 9 am until 5 pm to see it.  The morning tour took us from St Matyas Church to the Parliament building (no demonstrators as I mentioned earlier) and to Hero’s Square.  I was enchanted with the building styles in Pest and kept trying to photograph the ornamentation through the bus windows.  In fact I hit a new one day personal record by taking over 400 photos in the short time we were in Budapest. (I’m still sorting through them all.)

After the morning tour, Trish, Diz, my husband and I walked from the ship to the main shopping street for lunch.  The lunch was indoors (for a change) in a dark wood paneled restaurant and we had excellent local food and beer.  My husband and I wandered over to a church across the street ( I love old churches) and then back towards the ship through the pedestrian area and the Market Hall.

Market Hall with Trish and Diz
  Wow, do I love this city and I’m busy trying to figure out how and when we can come back here for a week.  The Market Hall alone is worth spending a few days and then there is all the architecture and shopping and music and food. . . . . .  There is a lot of history too but you probably already know about the Magyars and King Stephen I and the October Revolution.  The presence/present of the city is so overwhelming that the history seems secondary.

Just topping off the impact of the city was our sailing away at dusk.  As we moved slowly up the Danube, the sunlight faded and the lights of Budapest came on around us.   All I can say is “Wow” and look at the photos.

alison_wndrlnd says:
Budapest is top of my list of cities to see. I'm glad you liked it so much!
Posted on: Apr 14, 2007
My impression of Budapest
My impression of Budapest
peppers and garlic
peppers and garlic
Lisa A., your email isnt working …
Lisa A., your email isn't working…
photo by: Chokk