Sunday (day 16) in Vienna

Vienna Travel Blog

Museum building detail

Last night we had an evening concert in Vienna that was one of the highlights of the whole cruise.  Imagine champagne on a terrace overlooking Vienna and then beautiful classical music by a chamber orchestra, opera singers and 4 ballet dancers performing just for your small group (this was in the Kurehouse, an old spa building now used for small concerts).  Later while we were still under the spell of the music, we were driven around to see the lights of Vienna at night. . . .the Hofburg Winter Palace in particular. . .wow, what an evening.

You’ve all heard of the Hollywood Walk of Fame?  Vienna has something similar but it’s for great musicians.

Vienna Walk of Fame
   After last night’s concert, I’m totally under the musical spell of this city and walked along the sidewalks this morning trying to identify as many of the composers, performers etc as possible.

Today we went to the Fine Arts Museum which is in the Hofburg Winter Palace complex.  (Photos of my two favorite paintings by Raphael and Bruegel are included.)  Much as I enjoyed the paintings, the building architecture was the highlight for me.  Normally I am not too enthused about gilded anything and have a very low tolerance for decoration involving cherubs of any size and style but this building won me over.

As usual we walked around for the rest of the day.

Prater Park giant ferris Wheel
  Two of the outstanding sights were the Giant Ferris Wheel in Prater amusement park and the church on the Danube canal near where our ship was docked.  (The Ferris Wheel was built 100 years ago and you can see it in the movie "The Third Man".)  It was a beautiful sunny Sunday afternoon and one of those days that you remember for a long time afterward.

This is our last day on the ship and we have to leave it early tomorrow morning.  Tonight is the Captain’s Farewell Dinner and we all went back to the ship a little early in order to dress up for the dinner.  I was sort of doomed from the start at the “dress up and look my best” thing, given that I had a red nose from the cold and had been living out of a suitcase for 2 weeks but I gave it my best try.  Trish, Diz and my husband looked wonderful as always (I’ve got to start hanging out with people who aren’t so good-looking).

painting by Bruegel