Kanana to Livingstone, Zambia

Victoria Falls Travel Blog

our little dry airstrip

Monday October 11th. 204.7 NM (167.2 NM + 37.5 NM) Kanana - Kasane (FBKE) - Livingstone (FLLI)

Kanana; by far the greatest strip i have ever landed on. Happy to make some concessions like skipping the full english breakfast this morning to keep our W&B smiling. Our host sends out his people to water the airfield. Yes, this was necessary and took several hours. During this we went on our last boatsafari on the Delta, which was followed by a short jeepsafari before dropping us by the planes. We are welcomed by the workers, who are eager to tell us that there is way less driftsand then this morning.

Must have been really terrible i imagine, judging by the dust cloud produced as we turn after backtracking the 600 meters strip, followed immediatly by full power on to get as much speed as possible.

tough weather, but still beautiful
 However, it does the trick and all three planes head for Kasane (refueling) with end destination Livingstone.

Before entering the Livingstone circuit we make a detour to fly over the Victoria Falls. We acquired permission beforehand and studied the procedures for this event. Above the Kloof there is a circuit established. Each type of airplane (ultra light, business jets, helicopters etc) has it's own height to follow the circuit. We join at 6000ft and even though the weather is not great and raining season has not started yet, it is amazing to be flying over it. :))

In Livingstone we stay at apartments close to a big hotel on a grand property surrounded by a fence to keep the tourists in.

We come together at the hotelrestaurant for our daily flightpreparation-session and have an early diner. As the sun sets i go for a walk and find a bedding at the Zambezi river. I sit on the sand and listen to the hippo sounds at the other side of the river. After some time the noise starts getting closer and i hear moving of the plants on my right side.    A young man appeares. 'Excuse me miss', he chuckles 'did i frighten you?' Pfff, i would have stood up to slowly for a hippo... grinningly,  I admit I mistook him for a hippo. 'No miss, look at my fireplace from yesterday, that keeps them away. You just enjoy the waterview.' We stayed talking a bit and enjoying the african night.

'I'll leave you to it,miss, if something's wrong just call out, I will be around the corner.'

Next morning it was early awakenings for the game drive. By noon i went for a walk and found a little airstrip in the bush with hang gliders and a local on a bike. No evening walk this time, my bike friend warned me about active robbers in the area. Early next morning (Oct 12th) i couldn't resist and went for an amazing walk along the Zambezi River. I risked walking inlands but as i didn't want to get lost or stand eye to eye with a herd of elephants i went back to the riverside, to return to the hotel. Suddenly 3 man (or in dutch:straatschoffies) appeared from a side path.

Zambezi River
I called out a happy goodmorning,  but in no time all my belongings where theirs. My lipgloss, some pens, deet spray, candy, lollipops, mobile phone, prescribed sunglasses, normal glasses, sour sweets and chewing gum. Naturally i needed my glasses to find my way back so I pointed this out to them. They returned both glasses back including the spectacles case. Gee, even robberies are friendly in Africa!

Victoria Falls