Boca Brava

Boca Brava Travel Blog

Boca Brava november 13-16

From the intersection at Horoconcitos, we got off the bus to hitch a ride to Boca Chica, heading for Boca Brava. A german hippie gave us a ride in his truck. Later we learned that this was the owner of Boca Brava, where we were going. Lucky break.

I thought I´d seen some bad roads, but the road to Boca Chica from the Pan American Highway was the worst I´ve encountered. I´ve driven on my share of rocks, washboard, and potholes, but this more water and clay than i´ve ever seen before. it makes a sticky mess about a foot or more deep. only four wheel drives can deal with it. we were lucky to get a ride with the owner from the highway - this was pure luck- since the taxi is broken down.

Our guide opens a coconut
from boca chica we took a small boat and then a long stairway to the resort at boca brava. this is a really cool resort - rustic, mind you - no hot water, phone, or tv but the setting is incredible, and so was the rain! it just poured down in sheets. Frank, the owner, explained that when the hurricanes are on the move, the tail end hits Panama, causing a lot of rain and no wind-so the weather is slow to change.

one evening a guy coming up the stairs was greeted by a boa constrictor. the owner, frank, got him off the stairs and brought him into the restaurant. in a couple of hours he made his way out, although frank says the last boa he brought into the restuaurant stalked the resident parrot.

We went for a walk in the rain. We did get to see our first group of howler monkeys there. they weren´t afraid of us at all, and the little ones were downright curious. they did their howling thing after we left the troop. pretty cool.

the worst thing was the little blood-sucking chitras (sand flies). they love it when there´s no wind. there were holes in our screens in our room, so we ended up wearing long sleeves and pants to bed along with mosquito repellent - we were feeling pretty sorry for ourselves. we would love to come back here when the weather is better.

Boca Brava