Moseying through Mostar

Mostar Travel Blog

Mostar's magnet
travel
Sleeping in the heart of Sarajevo's old town is marvellous - although Friday night street noise continues well into the small hours so I barely wake in time to catch the 7am train. Mr Pansion Baščaršija induces me tor relax - it doesn't leave till 7.15am, but when the 10KM taxi ride reaches the station with moments to spare we discover that neither Zlatan nor the tourist office have been kept informed - the train rolled out of town at 6.45am. Zlatan is such a dude he motors me straight to the bus station instead. Two hours and 14KM later I am in Mostar.

room
I am offered a room by a kind lady at Mostar station, €10 with shared bathroom. Pretty good deal in retrospect but I opt for the highly recommended Pansion Rose instead - €25 with private bathroom, and exceptionally welcoming.
View from the bridge
The hosts friendly daughter is a little surprised - "what are you doing in Bosnia, alone, in the rain!?"

food
Lunch at Taurus: fish soup and another national dish, pljeskavica - despite the extravagant name the dish is basically a glorified cheeseburger and chips! 15KM inc drink.

explore
It is pouring with rain when I arrive and seems determined not to stop until the town is washed away. Being off season, many sights are closed for the winter or only open for a couple of hours in the morning. I'd say postpone a visit till the summer but even now the place is teeming with tourist groups, so I can't imagine how crowded this little town gets at peak times. [Perhaps the volume of visitors is an overspill of Easter pilgrims to Medjugorje...]
There is a lot more obvious war damage than I noticed in Sarajevo - countless buildings have posted signs warning "Dangerous Ruin! Access Forbidden" etc. The first bullet sprayed wall held some morbid excitement, the hundredth is sorely depressing.

Mostar's claim to fame is it's bridge. No one jumped off of it while I was there.

Mostars magnet