Turda to Hunedoara and return

Turda Travel Blog

David, not being one to believe in alarms, refused to wake me early so we got away 2 hrs later than expected. Breakfast was another place that specialised in Eggs only but at least you could chose how they were cooked.
Today we were headed for Hunedoara which has a fairytail castle. On the way we stopped at Aiud to see the walled church we passed. It was a coolish morning, but David and I were dressed in Short sleeves so we attracted some attention from the locals. We took a turn of the compound and moved on towards Alba Iulia. As we missed the city bypass, we stopped at the old town citadel. We walked around the route between the walls and then ended up in the centre of the old city. LOL The walled routed ended part way around. There are huge churches here. Amazing buildings.. The city gates are extremely ornate as well, using greek designs.
After a long walk, we headed off to Hunedoara. It was a huge drive (Allowing for Romanian roads and driving styles) but we arrived there around 1330hrs. This castle looks very odd sitting next to a steel mill. :D The castle was only partly open, disappointed but not unexpected. We got to see only the bottom levels but I am so glad we went there. As we were finishing up, we met a man from the US who was working in Satu Marie, around 6 hrs north of this castle. He was on a day trip to Hunedoara Castle. We also recomended some places he may enjoy on other day trips. I have missed the Gorge again, but with the weather so overcast, There seemed little point in doing the 90 minute walk to see just grey clouds. I am sad that we have missed the caves there though.. :( Leaving the castle, I read in LP that the train station had Communist Murals still in the main room, so we stopped there on the way out of town. David was delighted to find a train in the station. Turning North again, David turned west towards Deva to see the Funicular railway/Chairlift thingy.. As we aproached the Citadel, I placed a bet that it would be closed and it was. :( We drove all that way and the thing was closed for renovation. It seems a lot of Romania is closed for renovation in Autumn. A real bummer.

We drove back to Turda for dinner and get ready to see the salt mine again tomorrow. This was the night that as had roasted VAmpires and the wornout dick
photo by: erdei_reka