In Braşov

Brasov Travel Blog

Tuesday 11th November
Didn't sleep well. The sheets were itchy, and an Australian friend of David's rang at 02:19 am. :( When I did get going, it was as far as the kitchen to have coffee MADE BY ME, and some (gasp) toast. Toast was the only thing provided for breakfast. :( David had 1½ pieces of toast and hoped for the best. We walked to the cable car where he was going to ride to the top to the Braşov sign and I was going to walk up the hiking track. When we got to the foot of the mountain, we discovered the cable car was closed. (You all guessed that didn't you?) David was furious - I thought he might bail on the whole idea but he decided to walk up with me. Despite the frost on the ground, we were both in short sleeves. We had to meet someone at 13:30 back at the main square to help David talk to Banca Transylvania in Romanian to recover some lost money, but they just told him to take it up with the Australian bank. It was the Australian bank that told us to take it up with Banca Transylvania in the first place.
Whilst the two Davids were on the phone, I queued up with a lot of Romanias at a donut shop. This shop always seems to have a queue outside so I had to try what hundreds of Romanias seem to enjoy. I was not wrong...for 6RON you get 12 donuts with a topping of your choice. (For me Chocolate of course) Delicious.

I tried to find some souveniers but the shops here are not tourist shops. (Head scratching, in a tourist area, and no tourist shops..)David bought me a lovely black coat. There was a Curella De Ville type of coat (Not real fur!) and I tried it on but alas it was not my size. The shop lady said it was a small size anyway and the black coat was a larger cut. I still have a nice coat that I will need tomorrow and then in 7 months time at home. Chuckle...
We then walked to the Black tower for photos and then to the white tower. We though about going in, but the lady wanted to charge David 20RON for Photo Tax so we kept walking. The sun set behind the mountain and the town was plunged into cold weather again. The sun is almost gone here by 1630hrs but is not really over the town until 1100hrs so there are short days. This is the first place that we have encountered cool weather. (yay!)

We hid in the warm hostel. :D Minus 7oC tonight in Braşov