quieres jugar futbol??? ESPANYOL o BARCA???

Barcelona Travel Blog

just wanna play

We woke up with great expectations, knowing that we were about to cheer on Espanyol, the rival of Barcelona FC, from the VIP section. With no expectations of what this would look like, but with high hopes of crazy fans and an intense game, we took off for the Olympic Stadium riding the tube like native Cataluynians. Finding the stadium was a differrent story as I asked some older men who were dressed in Espanyol's blue and white where we might find the stadium. Now these men were avid bus riders, so they informed us that the best way there was to take the bus which would drop you off right in front of the stadium entrance. We, however, wanted to explore, so we took our chances, looked like the confused and lost tourists that we were, and someone took pity on us and told us how to get to the stadium by foot as he laughed at the consejo that the older men gave us.

VIP excitement
We traveled through beautiful gardens and up escalators to the stadium where many were gathering sporting the blue and white of Espanyol or the red and blue of Mayorca. Shouts and songs echoed across the area in front of the stadium as people began celebrating the start of a new game.

We bought our blue and white scarves and entered the stadium hoping that our new team wouldn't let us down:) As we were led to our section and checked by the security, our eyes widened and our mouths dropped as we realized how close we were to the field, to the players, and how centrally located our tickets happened to be. We started jumping up and down in excitement scaring the other VIPS who smiled as they saw our joy. The players were so close that it was possible to jump down on the field and join them! We started waving our scarves and joining in with the revelers from across the field.

Ready for the game!

Espanyol and Mayorca played it pretty close, and they were tied at 1/2 time. As the players left the field, we noticed that everyone in our section left and headed towards the back. Not knowing what was going on, we decided to following them finding food and drinks awaiting us in this beautiful room that had been hidden. The VIP section is incredible! We went from table to table trying different things and experiencing it with those around us. We had no complaints:) As we rushed back in to see the second 45 minutes, we weren't disappointed as Espanyol defeated Mayorca 2-1:) We shook our scarves and shouted along with the fans all the way back home, defending E from those fans of Barca who were in disbelief that we were E fans instead of fighting for the best team .

bring on Mayorca
. with its heralded player.. Ronaldinho:) So we were either heckled or embraced as we walked down Las Ramblas and through Placa Catalunya to our hostel. Upon arriving at our hostel, the staff started cheering when they saw the blue and white:) As we talked with them, I discovered that Ronaldinho had a salsa club in the area.. how could I miss out on dancing salsa! I changed quickly, said buenos noches to my sister and her friend, and headed out the door to Club Mojito. As I scrambled through construction zones and asked many people of its location along the way, I finally found it, and was not disappointed in all the effort it took to find it! The dancers were amazing, and I found myself with a great big smile the entire night as I was led around the dance floor by men who love dancing just for the sake of dancing. It made me remember how much salsa just comes from right within your soul and is expressed as you move to the beat with a heart full of joy.

AndiPerullo says:
I fell in love with futbol in Argentina. I'd love to see a game in Espana too. Sitting VIP must have been fab.
Posted on: Mar 28, 2008