adios hermanita! hola adventuras.

Lisbon Travel Blog

I was awakened by the rustle of bags as my sister and her friend packed away the last remnants of their adventures into their backpacks. I drifted back to sleep only to be awakened again by my little sister as she covered me in a bear hug and went on her merry way to catch the cab awaiting her presence. It wasn't until I woke up again and noticed that her bed was empty that I felt a great loss, for traveling with companions, especially your sister, is one of those precious things in life... memories with people you love.

A sunny day awaited me as did the lovely Sintra that I was unable to explore the previous day as it was closed down by the time we arrived. I traveled to the train station like an expert Lisboan, and found myself just missing the train to Sintra.

. which meant that I had just enough time to enjoy one of those lovely pastries a block away from the station:) What luck!

Arriving in Sintra, I traveled through the curving cobblestone streets observing a long line in front of what looked like it was a church. It was then that I realized that they were standing in line to buy tickets for each of the relics along the way, so I stood in line and awaited my turn.. bought my tickets, and traveled to another line to wait for a bus that would transport us to the top. As we waited, I decided that it wasn't worth it to wait in line.. I could walk 8km to the top.. it was a bright day, the sun was out.. it would be a great jaunt. So, I said goodbye to the ladies thinking that they would all beat me to the top.. I found out later that the bus never came:)

When I reached the top and tried to enter the castle, it became apparent that I had not purchased the entrance to the castle, but to the garden! I looked at the man in disbelief thinking about how I would have to walk 8km down to purchase the ticket.

He smiled at me, and whispered.. pasa pasa.. what a kind man! So, I entered the castle for free.. walked around the castle, but didn't enter the building as it was a 2 hour wait;) and the views around the castle, I'm sure were even better than what was inside.

I traveled on down to the park, followed some ducks and ducklings around, admired the moat surrounding a minature castle, and just rested on a bench.. UNTIL the mosquitoes became unbearable:) I headed down to my favorite crepe shop where I found myself face to face with people from my hostel who invited me to join them on their adventures to the underground caves! It was as if we were in a different world as we stepped through passageway after passageway in the complete darkness wondering if we would find an exit.

Lisbon