Rain? A double decker bus? Sitting on the top!

Lisbon Travel Blog

on top of the double decker

Wearing our jerseys, we became Ronaldo, Deco, and Figo for the day showing off our toughness by sitting on the top of a double decker bus in the midst of a icy downpour. We kept hoping that it would stop eventually, however, our hopes were dashed as it only continued to rain. We were out in the fresh air... and able to see far more than from inside, we kept telling ourselves as people pointed at us and laughed.. yes, we were the only people who stuck with staying on the top of the DD bus! We said that we would hold out until we came to the Tower of Belen not knowing that this was one of the final stops. It finally hit me how cold it was when I went to grab my camera and found that my fingers were not working as a result of being chilled to the bone:) So, we hoped off at the stop and scoured the area for a cafe that was offering soup.

playing a little futbol with the cannon
We found one and grabbed the soup as quickly as possible and held it in our hands until our hands started tingling .. the first signs of warmth! We sat until the warmth from the soup started to spread throughout our bodies and headed out to the madness again. This time finding buildings and savoring the heat in the building before heading on to the next and staying inside the bus instead of toughing it out on top.

We found that the Tower of Belen was FREE, and we took advantage, exploring it and playing soccer along the way.. sporting our jerseys:) As we ended our DD bus experience, we traveled back to the hostel and found that Sara's mom had arrived! We went to meet her and showed her around Lisboa, making her try the famous pasteis de nata as well as finding a hole in the wall family-run restaurant off the beaten path! Each of us had the sea bass.

. passing on the sardines:) What surprised them was how the fish was served.... WHOLE.. the head and all:) One of the ladies from a different table saw my little sister struggling to eat the fish and came over to our table to show her how to slice it so as to not eat so many tiny bones. My sister gratefully accepted her advice and her help and no longer was pulling bones out of her mouth every 5 seconds:) We also became friends with the owner who was a huge futbol fan and supported Sporting! For some reason he gave us his card and helped us with a futbol schedule.. and tried to convince us to return and eat the sardines:)

We traveled to Sara's mom's hotel, got lost, had to ask a handsome Portugese police officer where the hotel was, and finally found it! We decided that hostels are the way to go as her hotel was 180 Euros and our place was 18 EU.. we had more space, free breakfast, a shower in the room.. closets.. etc. I mean, just for the Nutella, it was worth it:) I wouldn't trade our place for the world!

on top of the double decker
playing a little futbol with the c…
playing a little futbol with the …
Team Portugal