a donde vamos?

Barcelona Travel Blog

We arrived in Barca with no problems, and amazingly and with great relief to my sister, our luggage arrived.. each and every pack and extra piece of luggage:) My lovely mom surprised us with Barca travel cards, which provided free travel across Barca on the transport systems as well as free entry into museums and discounts on restaurants, etc. It was PERFECT because a travel map with the rail system was included! They directed us to where the train would take off, and we headed off on our way to find ourselves being transported by bus to the station where we were given a free ticket to enter the train. I thought that it was pretty funny that we needed a free ticket as no one came to check the tickets during our entire time in Barca. We got off at Passeig de Gracia and searched for our hostel.

gangstas
.Centric Point.. which was right down the street from one of Gaudi's masterpieces! We dropped off our things and waited for my sister and her friend's roommate who happened to be studying in Spain... and we were also awaiting the arrival of our VIP futbol tickets for Sunday's Espanyol/Mayorca game at the Olympic Stadium. Sara's mom works for an international company who pulled a few strings for us so that we could not only attend a futbol game, but sit in the VIP section!!!

We soon ventured out for a walk to Parc Guell not necessarily knowing which streets to take, but knowing to head north.. so they saw the city this way as we traveled down alleyways and stopped off at different places of interest like a graffitied park:) Stopping for a baguette and cheese along the way, we traveled asking for directions from those who looked like they were from Barca.

sister friends
. mainly older gentlemen who were sporting sweater vests, lovely caps, and smart looking jackets. We are convinced that they were off to meet their ladies:)

Eventually we found Parc Guell and entered the tourist madness! People came from every direction, lounging across the mosaic masterpieces, snapping pictures of each and every nook and cranny! We escaped asap, but not before taking our own recuerdos. We traveled on down south towards La Sagrada Familia and encountered some girls who were trying to "get us to sign their petition"... I read the rest of it and realized that they really wanted you to donate money to their "cause"... I said no and kept moving while my sister got stuck in the midst of 5 of them as they kept trying to speak to her in Spanish... giving her the pen and pointing to the line and asking her for money showing her their money and then pointing to her backpack.

It was pretty funny.. she escaped and they chased after her:)

We went out for tapas and sangria for dinner.. and met up with some Canadians at one of the Irish pubs who ended up saving us from some guys from the US. I met this guy from SA who started using the typical lines, and I stopped him short, laughed, and told him that the lines were not going to work for me, but perhaps he'd find luck with some other ladies:) He laughed, and pointed to my sister who had been glaring at him and watching him over her shoulder. :) We all ended up going to this club off the pier with the Canadian guys who made my stomach hurt from laughing the entire night with them. We brought out the 70's flavor on the floor and our buddies kept out the guys who tried to enter our little circle that kept seeming to grow as the night went on.

escape!!!
I definitely learned how to be firm and say no and then move to the other side of the floor in order to prove that I wasn't just pretending to say no but really hoped that they would try again. :)

Heading home in the wee hours of the morning, we discovered that the streets were almost as full as they were before, and the odd thing was that men were trying to sell beer from a six pack they were holding in their hands. We escaped through the middle of the packs of people and headed straight to our beds still laughing from the night's adventures.

Isoinspira says:
I was absolutely perfecto:) loved it!
Posted on: Apr 14, 2008
AndiPerullo says:
Sounds like the perfect 1st day! I'd love to visit Barcelona someday.
Posted on: Mar 28, 2008