UNITED NATIONS in San Francisco

San Francisco Travel Blog

They that come together for the common good of mankind must make themselves known and their prescence felt: the United Nations did it in San Francisco. I have seen many of the UN offices in different countries of the world including the one at the Hague, this one is quite impressive. Occupies two streets and built to stand the taste of time, what money can do when the suffering multitudes of the world remain hopeful??

The mission statement of the United Nations states: "We the people of the United Nations determined to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war, which twice in our life time has brought untold sorrow to makind and to reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person . . . "

As I walked away from this encryption on the ground, I crossed the street only to find three destitute men sleeping by the entrance of the Un offices under the bitter cold. The wind factor was almost 5 miles/ hour and these guys were curled up in balls to keep warm. All of it reminded me of Rome's St Peter's Basillica and the hypocricy of "they that hunger . . . " yet the buildings in which we pray can feed millions of starving children. The ornaments that now serve as tourist attractions are sculpted in gold and such expensive material which if liquidated can feed a poor country like mine for an entire year.

I must admit, the building is beautiful despite my prejudice.

The dome on the main building
The dome on the main building
Pillars on one of the buildings
Pillars on one of the buildings
San Francisco Sights & Attractions review
Temples and great gate ways
I have been to many different China Towns in different States. When you have seen one China town, you have seen them all. Joe and I stopped in Chinato… read entire review
San Francisco Hotels & Accommodations review
Please do NOT book
We booked this hotel through priceline.com. The bid was for $65 a night but we ended up with a bill of over $214 for 2 nights. I don't what happened b… read entire review