Adventures in the Sunshine State of America

Florida Travel Blog

Florida, the Sunshine state, I had been before with my family a couple years back but for this trip, I was alone.  My Grandmother has a condo in Deerfield Beach, where she goes every year during the good old figid cold of Canada's winter.  After having a trip to China go down the drain, oh wellL, I decided to take 2 weeks off from work to go visit her in the sun.  I needed to take this time to be alone and just get myself straightened out.  I booked my flights with West Jet.   I flew to Toronto, and then to Fort Lauderdale.  My Grandmother was waiting with her friends when I arrived.

The moment I stepped out of the plane, I was greeted with the wonderful sensation we like to call heat!  It was a wonderful feeling let me tell ya!  My Grandmother’s condo is about a 30 minute drive from the airport.  She lives in Century Village in Deerfield Beach.  It’s a very nice place I must say, but as you can tell by the name, there is no one my own age.  Putting that a side, I really enjoyed my stay.  The first couple of days, I visited the village with my Grandmother, making meals together and going for walks.  The weather was not the best; it was very cool at times.  However, on my 4th day there, there were tornado warnings exactly where we were.  It was raining hard, very windy, and lighting would flash literally ever second.  It was a very scary experience, I felt like I was living in the Wizard of Oz.  Thankfully it was a false alarm, no tornado :) I would say for half of the trip, it was sunny and very warm :)

Having spent a couple days with my Grandmother, it was finally time for me to adventure off alone.

My first expedition was to Miami.  I was very excited to go as I had heard so much about it.  Therefore, from Deerfield Beach, I took the “Tri-Rail” for about an hour towards Miami, got off at the outskirts of the city, and then hopped on another train that headed downtown.  I took it all the way down until I got to the opposite side of Miami.  I walked around for a bit, admiring the beautiful city.  I went to a nice shopping centre for a bit.  Afterwards I took the train again and got off right in the centre of downtown Miami.   I was then greeted by a gentlemen begging me for money and being very persistent about it.  He was a liitle scary but got rid of him and started walking down the streets of Miami.  There was not that much people, I was surprised.  There were many little stores on both sides of the streets and I looked at them all.  Although i must say, I did not purchase anythign!  One thing was kind of odd, I was getting so many stares from people.
  I guess a 21 year old man walking alone is fascinating.  I walked up to this really nice marine with lots of boats and cruise ships, I was so envious.  I kept walking and arrived at the American Airline’s Arena, where the Spice Girls played the night before!  It was getting late, and I was getting tired, so I decided to head back home.  After 2 hours of traveling, I got home with dinner waiting for me.
J  The next day I decided to go to the Sawgrass Mills, which is a huge shopping centre.  I took the train once again to Fort Lauderdale and there took 2 different city buses to finally get to my destination.  I was really excited to go as it is shaped like a crocodile J  I got lost in it at least 5 times, it was pretty sad.
 It was very nice though, I really enjoyed myself.  Shopping in the USA is awesome!  For next few days, I just hung around Deerfield Beach.  We went to dinner a couple times, we went for walks, watched a few movies in their “Club House” and sat at the beach.

Sadly, this trip could not last forever; the time had come for me to return home after 2 weeks of relaxation.  L  My Grandmother’s friends came and picked me up early in the day, they wanted to take me through all the cities on the way to Fort Lauderdale.  This was greatly appreciated as I love to visit new places.  After about 2 hours of driving I was dropped off at the airport.

I flew to Toronto, then to Ottawa, where it was freezing! Goodbye heat I’m afraid, well until spring.

**This is my first travel blog, I know that it’s all over the place, I promise to write some better ones soon J Thanks for reading J**

ocwarren says:
I tried to leave a smile...but the smile button wouldn't work.
Nice blog...can't wait for more.
Posted on: Mar 27, 2008