Budget- Pensions please

Europe Travel Blog

Welcome to my blog. I'm a social worker. Good job, not so good pay. I also have an addiction to European travel. How can I reconcile the 2? I caught the travel bug fairly late (late 20's), so I never did the backpacking thing. I never stayed in a hostel sharing a room with a bunch of strangers. I've never stuffed a loaf of bread in my bag and called it dinner. Yet I have still been able to travel across Europe. One not so big secret are European pensions. While they cost more than hostels (although in some parts of Eastern Europe not much more), they are considerably cheaper than hotels, and especially the chain hotels. They are generally as comfortable as 1 & 2 star hotels. Moreover, they usually come with a buffet breakfast that consists of local cold cuts, fruits, juices, a variety of breads and cereals, some kind of eggs, and great coffee. So feast on breakfast and that will get you through much of the day. Pensions also tend to be a little gritty, but in a good way. You get a feel for the country. Don't think that griity means dirty. Most I've been to are usually spotlessly clean. The staff is very friendly. The best part is the private rooms with private or semi-private bathrooms. In Austria you can find summer hotels, which are little more dormy, but also fairly cheap. In Croatia though, your best bet is what the guide books say, find someone at the train station who will offer you a room. (there will be many there). Talk with the ones who will have pictures of their place and a map of its location. You don't want to be too far from the action. They may even offer rides for you. It's a gamble but following these tips might increase your odds at a nice place. So if you're a social worker like me, or a teacher, nurse, or some other person who finds their job emotionally rewarding but not monetarily so, and think seeing Europe like a grown up may be out of your reach. Think again. It takes research. Look at guidebooks, travel sites, etc. But that's half the fun. Now cheap plane tickets, that's another story!

sylviandavid says: